Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old cat keeps peeing on my comforters! He does #2 fine in the litter box but just likes to pee any comforter (I have 3 and all of them been hit).

I heard that bitter apple spray is nontoxic. Would this work or stain the comforters? Is there something else?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hi Carrie!

I was just going to repeat what I said in the link AddFran gave you, but in your case, I would put the comforter in the washing machine with the Nature's Miracle.

Bitter Apple spray will only keep your cat from putting the comforter in his mouth. Since that's not the problem, don't spend your money on it. Head to the vet and also hit your local pet store for the enzyme cleaner.

Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Did you already rule out health causes by having the vet check the cat out?

If so, then is this a new behavior? When did it start or has the cat always done that? Some cats refuse to do pee and poo in the same litterbox, they want one box per bodily function. If the cat was sick, had some kind of urinary infection, something that would give the cat pain when it urinated, this could cause the cat to avoid the litterbox for that function, thinking that that was what caused the pain. If you cat had been sick, you might want to try moving your litterbox or changing it so that the box seems different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had my cat (and his sister) for little over a month. For several weeks he was only in the bedroom and never did this. When we moved his litter box out to another location he started this behavior. It is like he doesn't like the new location.

I'll try cleaning the comforters with some special cleaner and closing the bedroom doors (though I hate to do that).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
That could be the problem. You might want to move it back and see if the behavior stops. At least you would know what the issue was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaning all the comforters with a special cat solution seems to have worked! Apparently when my cat Zoomie was so sick and couldn't move he had peed on them and although I cleaned them Zz must have still smelled him even though Zoomie is long gone :( .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Carrie! I'm new to this so i hope i am doing this right, but i have a cat that did thing same thing to me! I think what started it was the fact that i had changed my comforter. I had finally found one I really liked and about a day later, he jumped on it, right in front of me, began digging on it, and peed. Twice he did this, even after i washed it. The only thing i can think of that made him do this was the material on the comforter. I went from a regular cotton one, to one with suede, sation, velvet patches all over it. Either that or he really just didn't like it!! I ended up with a new one, and since its been on, he hasn't done anything. He sleeps on it with no problem. I did also spray stuff called Boundary on it, ( which really smells) but it seemed to keep him away for a while, but after that its been fine. i hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts