Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cats pees on my bed.

I thought it was because all attempts to remove the smell of my previous cat, who began to wee there when she was old and ill, had failed.

Also, viola, the offender, has a passion for scrabbling on all textile surfaces, as well as shiny ones, so I thought the scrabbling, plus the trace urine odor, was causing it.

However, I have noticed that she also likes to wee in any plastic bags or strong paper bags, left around for them to play with. Her aim there has always been perfect, and no urine has ever gone on floor.

I moved a month ago and have just now received my new bed and new mattress. To remove all possibility of urine odour, I also have used brand new bed linen.

Just now, second night of the new bed, she pissed on the quilt WHILE I WAS THERE!

I have been sleeping on the sofa all that time....no pee.

She DID pee on a dress of mine which, in the moving chaos, I had left on the floor inadvertently!

The cats are very loving and very cuddly. They require a lot of attention.

I am very reluctant to exclude them from the bedroom as they adore night time snuggling...

The problem is intermittent....though clearly something about even a totally urine free bed is triggering!

I have used repellent, excluding from bedroom for a time, admonition if I happen to catch her at it, giving her lots of attention if I think she is protesting something.

She was recently very ill and had every possible bodily function checked out to the nth degree.

She seems to use the litter trays very happily and I keep them clean. They have trays which are private and well away from food.

She is very healthy and happy again now.

I am assuming this is habit, plus her odd scrabbling obsession....

I have had the privilege of sharing my life with many cats, and never had a problem like this!

Sorry for the length.

Any clever ideas?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You'll hear from others, but I'm sure the first thing people will ask is whether your kitty might have a urinary tract infection. The first thing to do is take her to the vet.

I had the same problem with our first cat, who started peeing on the couch and other places, like on throw rugs on the floor. If it was soft, she peed on it. Long story short, after a vet visit I found a solution: I figured she was trying to tell me that she wanted to pee on something soft. I set up a second litterbox next to the regular one, but put only a liner and a couple sections of newspaper in it. Presto, she started peeing on the newspaper like a champ. In the following year she only had 1 or 2 accidents, but was otherwise very consistent on the newspaper. Just a thought . . . it may take some trial and error and creativity. Good luck, I know what a drag it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's not an infection.....but she is using the tray in my ensuite now and squeaked....so I'll think about it and talk to the vet.

I use paper pellets which are pretty soft....but I might try your idea....I will need to buy newspapers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts