Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; My cat Stevie is 16. He had diarrhea and was diagnosed with IBS so he has the medicated food(Z) and prisidone(sp, a steriod). All this seems to help him and he's doing well.
He does pee a lot and I think that's on account of the meds.
The problem is he pees a little, not a full pee or it would be a huge mess, on throw rugs that are of a certain fabric. I've even bought new ones that were identical (because I like them and they match the others in the house) but he always ends up leaving a small spot which I have to clean and it does smell.
So my question is Can a cat be somehow attracted to a fabric, smell or color of the rug which makes him want to pee on it?
What can I do to stop him, other than buying different rugs?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi ebjazz . . . welcome to the cat forum.

Are you sure Stevie doesn't have a urinary infection? If he hasn't been checked lately, it would be good to have his urine tested. If he does, he may associate the pain of urinating with his litter box. Antibiotics should clear up an infection if there is one.

Cats do go back to the same places to pee, so be sure to read the post titled Things that saved my home! Solving Urine Problems at the top of the Behavior forum. It explains how to get rid of all traces of urine smell that may be drawing him back to those rugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. will read later. Like I said, he pees in the box plenty. I mean A LOT! The thing is, I got new rugs that were identical and he did the same thing. It's not much pee. Like he's marking. I guess I should be grateful that it's not on the actual carpet. And for the spot, I've been doing Nature's Miracle or hydrogen peroxide/baking soda.
He's basically insane.

·
Super Moderator
26,626 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the case with your rugs, but I've read that some cats are attracted by the rubber on the bottom of rugs and for whatever reason decide that's where they should pee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I doubt it's the color, as cats don't see the full color spectrum that we do. My sister had the same problem with her cats. They ruined her rugs. Do you keep his litter box clean? Regular scooping might help, if you don't already do so. You might want to add another litter box in a different part of the house. He may take a preference to that one, and use it instead of going on your rugs.

Do have him checked for a urinary tract infection. And if he has IBS, that could also be uncomfortable for him, and contributing to his toileting problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may place fresh orange peels on your rugg, where he pees. It may help teach him, that this rug isn't the best place to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts