Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was pretty uncommon until two of my friends said they know cats who do this. Anyways, we taught Autumn how to play fetch yesterday but tossing her little mouse on her cat tree and she'd bring it back. So tonight I threw it in another room and she fetched it. She played for about 30 minutes and is tuckered out, but it's so cute.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
How sweet. :D

Book plays fetch, but only when he wants too. There are some days my arm will be so tired from winging toys. Other days he runs to it and then never brings it back.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Both Jack and Gypsy play fetch with me. Gypsy prefers feather toys and balls. Jack Prefers easter eggs. Both seem to keep at it longer then me :p

·
Registered
716 Posts
Banjo plays fetch with certain toys. And his favorite time to play fetch is when i am sleeping. I have a windowsill right at the head of my bed, so he sits up there and drops his toys on my face. He also likes to carry around this little rubber bracelet i have

·
Registered
611 Posts
You may have seen my videos. Playing with a Bengal is more like playing with a black Lab. This is at 17 weeks

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Book plays fetch, but only when he wants too. There are some days my arm will be so tired from winging toys. Other days he runs to it and then never brings it back.
Meeka is the same as this.

I love it when cats play fetch though.. So cute!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My old cat Shadow would play fetch for hours. Her fav toy to chase was an elastic band and she even taught herself how to play when we weren't home. She would grab the elastic with her paw and teeth then stretch it and fire it across the room to chase. Then again she would also sit on command... I think she thought she was a dog lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Squeek plays fetch sometimes, but not for half an hour. She'll bring her mouse over to me and meow at me, so I throw the mouse and she runs after it and bats it around and brings it back to me to throw again. We'll do this maybe 4 or 5 times until she loses interest. She taught me, it never occurred to me that she might play fetch.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Some of my Manx played fetch. The two Devons I have now both fetch. Alkee likes to fetch her mousies, and Zuba likes coil springs or wires of any kind, but not mousies.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky plays fetch too. We don't know where he learned it from, but he knows how! Sometimes when we're busy and haven't played much with him, he brings a toy over and drops it beside us or in front of us and sits staring at us as if to say "let's play fetch!" It's so cute when he does that!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Atlas does too! His new "bedtime" routine is to find a milk ring and run upstairs to the bedroom when he sees us turning out the lights, then jump into bed with the milk ring, perk his ears up and wait for us to find him....I then toss the thing across the room for him until he gets tired of bringing it back. He initiated this game on his own, after I chucked a milk ring off the bed because it was in my way--he hopped down and got it, then dropped it in my lap! He might be smarter than Wicket is :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of my new cats, Mira, plays fetch :) She actually brings the ball back and drops in it our hand to toss again.

I've known one other cat who did this, she was a Maine **** cat and acted more like a dog than a cat sometimes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 12 cats, and each one of them either fetches or did when they were younger. It seems they will all develop a taste for a certain toy.

Peach (or as we call her most times Peaches or Peachy) has for some reason become obsessed with cardboard. If a piece is to big, then she will lay on it and talk. We cut off a strip and throw it, she'll go get it.

We've taken to holding it and repeating the word "CARD(pause)BOARD". I swear some times you hear a crude two part "kuhad burd". Scratchy has his green mouse and soft little pompom thing. Muffin has her little rats, and for some reason will bring pants, towels, shirts, socks, and other clothing at odd times. She doesn't want the clothing thrown.

It starts with loud meowing, like an injured cat. We now know it's her with something for us. If we can spot her without her seeing us, this is what we see.

She stands there, making biscuits on the clothing, with a piece of it in her mouth. She meows loudly, with it in her mouth. She takes a few steps and looks around as if trying to save a lost kitten maybe. Then repeats. When she sees us, it looks like she almost has tears in her eyes. She'll come over, squeak, and jump in my lap...then the happy drooling commences. We wake up with lots of towels and socks near the end of the bed.

Fuzz (Peach's brother) loves Dum-Dum pops. We bought a bag for my dad to use to stop smoking. Fuzzy (as we call him) would stick his head in and get one out, playing until he lost it. Often bringing it to us to throw. If he lost it, back to the bag to get another. We have Dum-Dum's everywhere.

I flipped through a book in Books-A-Million once. It was called "Things your cat can't do" (or something like that). One was "fetch", I guess the author never owned a cat. Heck we have one that fetches sticks like a dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts