Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 10 year old (female) cat who is as clean as anything and never had any toilet issues before.

About 18 months ago the neighbours got a precocious (male) kitten who, probably because of wanting cat company, seems to spend as much time here as he does at their place (certainly nothing to do with the neighbours as they are cat mad!). We have a cat flap and although we discouraged him at first he was so persistant that we gave up on putting him out every 2 minutes!

Although we get the occasional hissing and handbags between the two cats I've tended to see this behaviour as just normal playful cat stuff. Our cat is not a fighter and does most of the hissing while the young cat tends to be the one who starts things off by coming up to her and now and again has jumped on her. However I would say that the young cat generally shows subservience and will roll over and also waits for our cat to eat her food before moving in on any remains. Very often you will find both of them asleep in the same room so wouldn't seem that bad a relationship.

Well anyway things have generally been fine but after we had been away on holiday for 2 weeks (with the neighbours coming in to feed our cat) we went upstairs to find one of the cats had poo-ed all over our bed (possibly more than once judging by the quantity!). If anything I would say our bed is used more often by the neighbour's cat but our cat also sleeps there sometimes.

That was about 4 weeks ago and no more incidents until last night when we found more cat poo this time at the bottom on the stairs.

I should also say that the neighbour's cat does not show any of the usual territorial signs that you see from some cats such as spraying in the garden etc and seems to be just as clean as our one.

Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on what is going on and who is the likely culprit.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Who's the culprit? Could be either one....your cat because she really is upset because of this young male infringing on her territory. Could be the young male as well, especially if he is not yet neutered. That could definitely be upsetting your girl.

My suggestion is that you lock the cat flap, and do not allow this friendly boy access to your house. Keep your girl inside for a while as well to break the habit of this boy coming over to visit. Then you will know for sure who's pooping on the bed or leaving a 'calling car' on the floor. If it's your girl, you may have to keep bedroom doors closed until she goes back to using the litter pan.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I would suspect your cat was mad at you for being away the first time... hard to tell if the next time was a statement or an accident... litter boxes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts