Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am not sure what to do. My cats have a tendency to poop on my bathroom mats. If I don't put the mats down the cats are perfectly content to go in the litterbox. One of which is 6 inches away. Not having shower mats in my bathroom is not ideal. It is clearly not a medical issue because they won't go outside the litterbox when the mats aren't available. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It would seem pooping on the mat is more comfortable than pooping in the box. I would investigate to see if this is true and why.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
People have posted here about this before and there seems to be something about the rubber on the bottom of mats that for some reason invites them to poop or pee on them. No explanation about why. Just weird. I'm not sure if your mat has a rubber bottom or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@marie73 I just looked up another thread about this but unfortunately they didn't have a solution. They just hang up their mats when not in use. My theory was the flexibility allowed them to cover up the poop but I put down a few gym weights and they still pooped on the mats. I might rig up a pressure plate that lights up or some other deterrent to get them to stop.

·
Registered
Hank (Birman)
14 Posts
Hi! In my opinion i don't think the litter box should be in the bathroom. A better place may be a laundry/mud room type area. My cat has his litter box in our laundry room and has done great! I would also suggest trying different types of bath mats. it might just be the material of the mat that is making them want to go poop on them! Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will research what bath mats are available. I live in a one 700 sqft 1 bedroom apartment. My choices for keeping two litterboxes, food, and water separate is limited. Plus they do use it to mainly pee but do poop in it occasionally. They are far more likely to go poop in the litter robot in my living room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts