Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a cat that went for a tumor removal op about 3 months ago. Every time i change the dressing on the wound it will bleed a little bit, and the wound does not seem to be drying or clotting, it seem to be perpetually moist and raw.

When i change the dressing i will wet the dressing with saline solution to soften it up so that it does not rip out any scabbed area, but still it will bleed a little. I change the dressing twice a day and the cat cannot access the wound so it is not the one causing the bleeding.

My question is :
1.is this normal for a tumor wound?
2.Can i use super-glue to stop the bleeding? i think its about the same formulation as vetbond or liquivet
3. Will the wound be raw for the rest of the cat's life?

The cat is female abt 12-13 years old and looked like a feral cat.
the attached files are pictures of the tumors

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Are these pictures of the wound after surgery?
Three months is a long time, it should have healed by now.

I sympathize; I had a 5-year-old cat with a malignant neck tumor. The vet did a great job operating and it healed and did not recur. Scoop is 11 now.
I kept the wound clean, as you are doing, and also dosed Scoop with flax oil.
A trip back to the vet is in order to find out why it hasn't healed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

The pictures were taken three months after the surgeries. How much would a consultation with a vet usually cost in your city/town?

thanks.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Was the tumor raised like this after surgery or was it flat or recessed to the skin? I'm not a vet or vet tech, but it looks to me like tumor has regrown. I would think after 3 mos. you should have seen more healing and that it shouldn't be sticking up like this. Definitely a vet visit is in order.
Can't help you with consultation cost as I'm in Canada and assume you're in the U.S.?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Poor kitty that looks painful. In my area a vet visit is $65 for weekday, more for weekend, but I suspect living in NYC that the cost here is higher than a lot of places.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Most vets provide post-op wound checks for free, but if you haven't had the surgical site rechecked for three months, chances are your vet will charge for the exam and any necessary treatment. Your cat definitely needs to be seen by a vet again, however. Those wounds are nasty, and they would not persist like that with normal, healthy tissue. Your cat needs veterinary attention ASAP to address those lesions.

Laurie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts