Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat loves my basement, hes down there almost all day, its freezing down there since its winter, im afraid that he might freeze down there, but everytime i try to lock the door, he will bug me for hours, meowing and jumping on me while im at the computer. The only way i can get him to stop is by opeing the basement door and letting him do there... Anybody know why? Hes killed a few mice down there and brought them up to me and i disposed of them and praised that cat like your supposed to do..

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I would say it's the mice. My cats are always wanting into my gerbil room. They know there are live prey animals in there.
Also, a lot of cats just dislike closed doors. Levi, my oldest will scratch and whine at the door to the basment until I finally give in and open it. Then he will go down the three steps, sit on the landing for 5 secs and come back up :roll: . Now what's THAT all about?! What a goof!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
basement cat

You might consider installing a cat door in the door to the basement. That will keep the drafts out, and allow him to come and go and do his hunting thing. I have put cat doors in closet doors, bedroom doors, you name it, works great! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
865 Posts
I suppose that would be a better idea - you'll be mouse free and the cat will be happy. But then I suppose you would have to worry about worms still, or other problems associated with wild mice.

Then again - if mice are in the basement they'll eventually get upstairs if not controlled.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Your cat either loves the mice hunting or loves the coldness too. My cat Sugar loves warmness and Twinkie loves cold spots. Maybe its both but I think the mice thing is really interesting to them. :p

·
Banned
410 Posts
My cats hardly ever go to the basement unless I'm down there. They all love to be warm. I think the cat door idea is great--mouse hunting will give him something to do when you're not home. :wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
During the winter months, I close off my basement and back bedroom to my cats, because if I don't they will all be down or in there. Some of them prefer to be alone for a while while others are more content to be with others sleeping under a heat lamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts