Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is the weirdest thing.

I have a 3 year old toddler and my cat Shiva, a year old grey tabby that I raised from a kitten just loves her.

This cat will play with her, and tolerate all the abuse my daughter does to her (dressing up in doll clothes, forceing to sleep in a doll cradle, etc.) and never hurts her intentionally.

To get to my point, my best friend who is in the Navy got back into town last week, and she is staying with me until Friday.

When Roxanna brought her belongings into the house, Kaitlynn was with her, but I was still in the car getting groceries out. The cat started screaming, like it was being stepped on. Then a few minutes later I could hear Roxanna screaming. Shiva attacked her!! Scratched up Roxanna's Legs (claws went through the jeans) jumped up and scratched her stomach area.

I was astonished. Shiva has never hurt me intentionally or Kaitlynn, or anyone else who came over. She doesnt like certain people, like my sister, but most of the time, she just runs and hides, hisses a little, but no big deal. Never once has she attacked anyone.

Well we thought she was just protecting us, like a watch kittty, someone she didnt know came into her house, and she attacked. Well we found out that its not the house. She refuses to let Roxanna touch her, and bats at her when she does.

Roxanna was tickling Kaitlynn (my toddler) and chasing her around the house, and my cat who mellowed out since the first day attacked her again.

Then last night the cat was sitting on the back of the couch behind Roxanna, just sprawled out... when Kaitlynn came up and Roxanna started tickling and hugging on her. My cat lept off the couch and grabbed Roxanna behind both ears and dug her claws into her back and attacked her again, this time much harder, and more painful for Roxanna.

We now know that Shiva is protecting Kaitlynn, but how do I get her to stop attacking people. How do I get her to see that Roxanna is ok. I love this cat she is the greatest cat I've ever had, and Kaitlynn loves her too. What I am worried about is, will she attack Kaitlynn next?

·
Registered
454 Posts
JeannieNShiva said:
What I am worried about is, will she attack Kaitlynn next?
The reason for your surprise is that it's a cat, rather than a dog protecting Kaitlynn. Had it been a dog, you wouldn't have been surprised, nor would you be wondering what to do. With a dog it would be a simple matter of your friend not doing what could be interpreted as threatening to Kaitlynn, or keeping your dog confined during such times that a visitor was present. It's also doubtful that you would be concerned that the dog might attack, Kaitlynn. It looks like the difference here is that it's a cat, instead of a dog.

Still, your friend shouldn't have to worry about being attacked by the cat. You need to separate your friend and the cat, unless your friend can find a way to build trust from your cat.

It may be that someday having a cat so intent on protecting it's people might prove very worthwhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her behavior kinda reminded me of a dog, but its odd, I've never had a cat in my life do that. So it was surprising.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for how Roxanna can build trust with Shiva?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts