Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my cats, Lester, pulls on her claws one by one with her teeth. Is this a normal part of grooming?

She seems to pull pretty hard. I can even hear a soft clack every time she loses her grip with her teeth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
June does that too! It stresses me out because it sounds horrible... like she's going to pull the nail right out. LOL I was talking to my friend (who has cats forever and ever) and she said her cat does it too and in her opinion it's just his way of grooming.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
wow. this is good to know it's a really common thing, because Angel does it, too. i figured it was because her front paws are declawed (by prior owner) and it was her way of keeping her back claws trimmed. our first kitty definitely did a good job of scratching with her front claws, but i never noticed her really scratching with her back claws, so maybe she also chewed on her back claws and i just never saw it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, wow, thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to know it's normal. I was a little worried she was going to hurt herself, although there really is no sign that she is hurting herself.

·
Registered
238 Posts
3 of my 4 kitty's do this, they keep their own claws short & never need me to trim them but my 4th Kitty does not do this so I have to trim them about once every 6 month's :)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Our only kitty that does this is Jitzu, she likes to keep her weapons nice and pointy...*sigh*

lol, the other three were all taken from their mums at 4 weeks or earlier...way too early (not something I recommend, but it was unavoidable in their cases) and never learned how to clean themselves completey. They are all gradually improving with age, but it's slow.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Most of the cats I've ever owned like to do their own "manicure". When old nail sheaths get loose and maybe itchy, they will use a scratching post to pull them off, or failing that use their teeth....it's a normal part of grooming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.