Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago my cat started pulling out her hair, at first I thought she was just shedding but now she is starting to get bald spots. She just bites at her hair and pulls clumps out. Most of it seems to pull out okay but some times she pulls some out and it will bleed a tiny amount. other than that she seems healthy and acts normal, she still eats the same. I looked close at her skin and I don't see anything unusual.
She is a 10 year old mix.
Any ideas or suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,
Sven

·
Registered
454 Posts
I imagine there's multiple reasons for such activity. My previous cat started to do that when he started getting older and suffering some joint pains and such. It was explained to us that unable to understand the source of the pain, he pulled at his hair in an effort to reach and remove the pain.

As I said, I imagine there could be multiple reasons, but that seemed to have been the problem with mine. One thing I did that seemed to help, was to buy one of the cat heating pads, and install it in his bed. He started spending a lot more time there, since he enjoyed the heat, and it did seem to help his arthritis.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, many possible reasons--some infectious, some contagious. Have your vet do a skin scraping to analyze and possibly treat for mites, etc. Other possibilities include allergies and stress. But it requires a vet visit to sort out.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
50 Posts
pulling hair out

Is your cat also losing weight? What did the vet say? Has kitty had bloodwork done recently? Specifically, check liver enzymes. One of our kitties pulled his hair out and lost a lot of weight very fast. It took a few vets to determine he had a tumor on his small intestine. We wish you the best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts