Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I take her to the vet? Today she already has patches where her pink skin is exposed. She's under a lot of stress from my other cat, she's newly adopted and has been living in my bedroom for almost 3 weeks. Although she's pampered like a Princess, best foods, care, attention and love, this is no easy way for her to live. She always had some holes in her fur when she was a stray, and I thought she might've been attacked, but now I see it's self-inflicted. I'm very, very upset.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Two possiblities here: Physical or mental.
Does your cat have flea/tick? Or maybe she is allergic to something in her food? Do you see the skin being dry, and fur dull?

It also could be she is depressed. Yeah even if you give her EVERYTHING, she can still be depressed... I think just like human, depression is part environmental part genetic.

I have a friend whose cat is doing similar thing. She licks her fur excessively and sometimes pull. My friend brought his cat to vet and vet diagnosed her as depression. Then the vet recommended a cat shrink (lol I didn't even know such occupation exists before) to him. He broght his cat for couple of sessions, and according to him, there are improvements, but not significant, and the cost of that is horrible, like hundreds of bucks each session...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would definitely suggest bringing Princess to the vet because it sounds like she's very stressed out and possibly depressed, and it has absolutely nothing to do with you, so please don't feel like you did anything wrong. I would suggest bringing her to the vet because i've heard that animals can be placed on anti-depressants, and at least for a trial period, i think that would be a really great idea. I'm sorry that you're going through this :(

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
This is either stress. Common reaction is grooming a spot bare. My tux started doing that from stress of to many fosters and activity in the house. Or a big posibility is food allergies. Which takes time to find the offending ingredients. They will pull at the fur with their mouth.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I took one of my cats that I used to have to the vet because she was pulling out her hair. He put her on prozac and had me bring her back in a couple weeks. She stopped. I was amazed. I didnt think it would work.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my opinion, she's under a lot of stress because she lives closed in my bedroom and can't go out because when she tried, Prince attacked her. He also attacks her in the bedroom, so the door is constantly closed now. I think she's both terribly scared and depressed, because I'm at work all day and she's alone and fretting that Prince might be able to open the bedroom door. I hope that with the door constantly closed now she'll calm down and be a bit more optimistic. I'm optimistic that Prince will get used to my having adopted her, if not in a few weeks then in a few months. She's probably very hot too because I can't afford to leave the bedroom A/C on all day while I'm at work. The heat and humidity are very bad here now. I leave a wet towel for her to sit on all day, but she hasn't used it.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
It does sound like overgrooming from stress. Used to have one do that. I would continue to keep her isolated away from Prince especially, but can you put in another cat or cats to keep her company that wouldn't bother her? Maybe you could rotate them. Give her lots of catnip toys, and some catnip to eat as it is a mild sedative. Unfortunately some cats get into the habit of overgrooming so much that they don't get out of it. If you like, have a vet give your cat an anti-depressant, and I hope it works, but don't be surprised if she starts overgrooming again when she's off it. To keep her cooler, even if you can't leave the A/C on all day, do you have a fan? My Zuba isn't depressed, but he is a bit high strung than his laid-back half-sister Alkee. She never overgrooms, but Zuba has overgroomed part of his lower chest and inner tops of his front legs. It's just a habit he has developed.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, Prince never hurt her, so I know the holes were not made by him. He only once touched her, and the hairs he pulled were black, her naked patches are in the white area. Besides, she used to have these holes (but a lot less) when she lived in the streets.

Her fur has changed completely in the 3 weeks she's been at home - it's now silky and shiny, whereas it was thick and rough when she arrived.

She also has diarrhea, and she didn't have diarrhea during the few days when Prince didn't try to attack her and both she and I thought, mistakenly, that he had already accepted her.

She loves her food and eats raw meats all the time with gusto, so she's not dehydrated although she hardly drinks.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have some catnip toys, thank you for the idea, catloverami!

I've been told that a fan spends as much or more electricity than A/C... I'll have to research this.

Now I'm afraid that the bad habit may never go away...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree with the idea of rotating the rooms. You can lock Princess in your bedroom for one day, then lock Prince the next day. It's not fair for only Princess to be confined for so long (you mentioned months, right? That could be very depressing). Besides, by rotating the room they can get familiar with each other's smell, which may help them getting along.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
How often are you using your Furminator? Too much use can cause baldness. They recommend once a month regularly and twice a month during shedding season.

Also, what kind of heat are we talking here? If it is too expensive to run the fan then can you just run the AC? It would be horrible if she over heated because of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Zoe's stress reaction was to groom a bare spot on elbow and knee. It was always about 3 weeks after a major stressor like me being away on vacation or a big move or some household change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If she has diarrhea too I would look into her food. What exactly are you feeding her? I see you mentioned raw, maybe your calculations are a bit off?Are you feeding canned as well?
I also agree with switching them everyday so that she gets some more stimulation and a cooler area.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From what I've heard some kind of food allergy is a really common cause of over grooming. Her having diarrhea as well just makes it seem more likely that its a food issue. Does she eat anything with grain in it? If she's had holes in her fur as long as you've known her, and considering how many brands of food contain some kind of grain, that might be the best place to start searching for allergies. Just a thought! I think it's probably a great idea to switch rooms for your kitties as well. Maybe a little more to do and explore will help distract her from it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, taking her out of the bedroom is my first priority about her now. Today I gave her treats in the carrier, she went in, I closed it and took her to the living room. She cried a bit, was terrified at first and scared afterwards, but seeing as I was glued to her face through the carrier net, she calmed down. Prince approached the carrier with lots of interest, then went off to sleep. She begged me out of the carrier, so I let her out on top of the ironing board, from where she observed the house with vivid interest. A few minutes later she wanted down, so I grabbed her and took her to the mattress on the floor with me to cuddle, but she preferred to run to her hiding place, where she's been ever since. I hope she'll go into her carrier again so I can repeat the experience. I don't think it was traumatic, she was under no threat at any time, and this is the 3rd time she's been in the living room, so it shouldn't come as a shock. But getting her in the carrier once again may prove impossible.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't close Prince in the bedroom while she's in the living room because he won't cooperate, and I don't see a reason to do so, since he wasn't hostile at all when they shared the living room.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They've been peaceful with open door, with a few hisses from her if he comes into the bedroom too quickly, since yesterday morning. Basically, Prince doesn't relate to her unless he's too bored, and even then he loses interest soon. Yesterday morning he chased her, but all he did was reach her, stop short in front of her in fear from her hisses, ask me for pets and go off to sleep next to us.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
First off Im concerned how easily vets in the US prescribe antidepressants and tranquilizers before elliminating all other possibilities. You should seriously delve in to food allergies.

Next don't worry about putting her into a closed room for the day. That is a good move. When cats are fearful or anxious they need places to hide while they make the transition into your home and family. Place a box upside down with a door cut into it so she can escape into it. All cats find very small spaces to hide in when sick or stressed. The best encouragement you can give her is to feed her in her safe room. Sit by the food when she eats. Spent time just being with her. Bring a book in and sit on the floor on her level. Do busy work on the floor. Its going to take time for her to feel safe and come around.

Has you brought your vet a poop sample so he can test it for the usual parasites?

As far as the heat goes I personally wouldn't worry. Cats love sunshine and heat. Mine go out on the screened in porch from my air conditioned house to lay for hours in 110 heat!!! I live in the desert. Cats are desert animals. Just have fresh water available 24/7.

Don't force the introductions with your other cat while you are trying to find what's causing the fur pulling. She can have slow introductions once she is happy and healthy.

I know this is a lot to cope with. But there's answers. You just need to try and eliminate what is the source of her issues. It takes time to do this.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, Mitts. The reason I chose this cat to adopt is she was the most fearful of all in the streets. So naturally she's very fearful inside the house too.

No vet has seen her yet, because I want a vet that comes to the house, and the one that came was such a jerk I sent him away. I've yet to find another. But I'm convinced her fur pulling is from stress. She had the same before she came here, and she ate totally different food. But now the patches are really horrible. Today, though, since we had such a peaceful day the 3 of us together, they're not worse. We fell asleep with each of them on either side of me purring away as I petted them both, and slept like that for several hours. I woke up from pain like needles and pins in my legs - Prince was kneading me in his sleep, and with claws out it's all the more gratifying. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts