Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 cats all about 1 1/2 years old, 1 of the 3 likes to chew everything, he will chew on metal, glass, wood and mostly my wifes sandles and my sneakers. He has chewed them so much that we have had to throw some away and our dinner table chairs have teeth marks all over them. We have tried all the conventional methods to rid him of this like spraying water. He just keeps going back to the chewing. Is there a chew toy or some other thing we could do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow this cat forum was so helpfull, glad so many people could look at the thread but not put any replies. :roll:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Im afriad people dont live on these forums, you have to wait for answers, espically when its easter, and so many people are on holiday, or have more important things to do than sit on a computer.

You say you have tried everything......... if thats the case many people will see that and have no ideas- there isnt much point in posting "i dont know" is there?
When you say you have tried conventional methods, does that include going to a shop and buying bitter bite, or a citrus spray? a chew deterant spray? for the shoes just put them away when the cat cant get them- i have to keep mine in the airing cubard, the laces get chewed up or that nights catch ends up in my shoe.

If none of the above work then expirment with toys, i have toys which some wont touch, and other toys they fight over.

How long has the cat chewed things? Has it seen a vet lately? Chewing things can be a sign that it has dental issues- bad teeth, something you may not be able to see, if your cat hasnt seen a vet about teeth lately take it to the vet and explain what its been doing.

ok?

Edit- just as a thought, you posted that at 1am my time, not many people in the uk tend to be online at that hour.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would think that if a cat is chewing that much he/she may have some underlying medical/behavioral issue. A thorough physical at your vets may be in order before she winds up with a serious intestinal blockage.

After you've done that, there is a wonderful veterinarian, Dr. Jean, on this site who can tell you more about play therapy to distract and tire this kitty. Here's her site for some useful info:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zalensia said:
Im afriad people dont live on these forums, you have to wait for answers, espically when its easter, and so many people are on holiday, or have more important things to do than sit on a computer.

You say you have tried everything......... if thats the case many people will see that and have no ideas- there isnt much point in posting "i dont know" is there?
When you say you have tried conventional methods, does that include going to a shop and buying bitter bite, or a citrus spray? a chew deterant spray? for the shoes just put them away when the cat cant get them- i have to keep mine in the airing cubard, the laces get chewed up or that nights catch ends up in my shoe.

If none of the above work then expirment with toys, i have toys which some wont touch, and other toys they fight over.

How long has the cat chewed things? Has it seen a vet lately? Chewing things can be a sign that it has dental issues- bad teeth, something you may not be able to see, if your cat hasnt seen a vet about teeth lately take it to the vet and explain what its been doing.

ok?

Edit- just as a thought, you posted that at 1am my time, not many people in the uk tend to be online at that hour.
I dont expect people to live on the forum I just thought after all the looks someone would post something. And I dont live in the UK I am in U.S.A. so I am not on your time I posted in the late afternoon. as for my cat he has always been biting things since he was a Kitten but he really started after we had the 3 of them declawed. :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I think what Zalensia was saying is that when you posted, she and everyone else in the U.K were safely tucked away in their beds and thus unable to check the forum.

I was browsing littlebigcat.com today and was checking out the Spirit Essences. I saw "Obsession" and thought of this thread. There's also "Declaw Remedy" that might be helpful. Here's the link: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... tegory=fec

I've been trying to get out of the habit of posting "I don't know" in threads. Doesn't seem to be much point to it and the original poster just gets annoyed that I don't know anything. My cat's not a chewer so I have no personal experience to draw from here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts