Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a 14 year old cat who is in good health. He just had a check up. The thing is for the past 5 years he can’t meow. He opens his mouth and nothing comes out, just a grunt of air. He can still purr though. The vet doesn’t seem to know why. Any ideas what this may be? I have been looking online and can’t find an answer yet.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Charlie, one of my cats, can not meow either. The vet did a check up and other than that, she's fine so we never think anything of it. She's healthy, active, and loving so she doesn't seem to mind. I'm not too sure why some cats just can't I guess. Sorry this wasn't much help :lol: .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cousin's cat is also named Charlie. He is healthy, he just can't meow. I guess it just something that comes with age. We were just wondering what may be causing it. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Its the name Charlie, that HAS to be it. Hehehehehehe. It doesn't sound like its anything serious though. Sort of a bummer you can't hear him meow - it has to be one of my favorite sounds! (Most of the time, heh).

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! :D
I have never heard of a cat losing his ability to meow, but I had a cat that never meowed. She made those adorable little chirps that cats make, but never meowed and rarely purred. I went from this cat to my current who is one of the most vocal cats you will ever find! Quite the contrast.
Anyway, I recall mentioning to the vet my former cat's lack of vocal ability and she was in no way concerned.
I am curious to see if anyone else has experience with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts