Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat, Ginger, is 6yrs has never drank water from her dish. I keep it cool and fresh. She will not touch it. She instead will drink from a leaky tap, or get in the bathtub after someone has a shower. I want to be sure that she gets enough water, but I have no idea what to do to help her.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe you could invest in one of those fountain water dishes where the water is contantly moving. I've seen them in catalogs for as low as thirty bucks.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I can personally vouch for those pet fountains. We bought one about a year ago for Velvet, best purchase ever!! :D Worth very penny. We even bought a spare in case the one we have stops working.
Velvet is the same way. She never drank water out of her dish, no matter how often I changed it and made sure to keep it clean. We even tried several dishes, thinking that would help, never did. She would drink water out of tub or we would have to stand with the water running out of the faucet while she drank. What a pain. :roll:
I have noticed an increase in urine output since we got the fountain, so I am happy to say she is getting enough or at least a lot more to drink now. I actually have to clean it out more often. :lol: Well worth it though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Samhain is the same way!!! I really want to get her a fountain. She bee-lines it to the bathroom whenever she hears the door and we turn the faucet on for her while we are....ahem...in there. She will drink from her water bowl very seldomly. It gets really gross because she likes to pull her food into her water, stir it around and then eat it with her hands. Even though I change it 3 or 4 times a day, she rarely drinks from her bowl. Getting her a second bowl didn't work because she'd carry the food to the second bowl in her mouth and drop it in! I want that fountain!!! Where did you get yours Lori? Roughly how much was it?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
tanyuh said:
Samhain is the same way!!! I really want to get her a fountain. She bee-lines it to the bathroom whenever she hears the door and we turn the faucet on for her while we are....ahem...in there. She will drink from her water bowl very seldomly. It gets really gross because she likes to pull her food into her water, stir it around and then eat it with her hands. Even though I change it 3 or 4 times a day, she rarely drinks from her bowl. Getting her a second bowl didn't work because she'd carry the food to the second bowl in her mouth and drop it in! I want that fountain!!! Where did you get yours Lori? Roughly how much was it?
The pet fountain was 25 dollars, we bought it at our local pet store. Like I said, well worth the purchase price!! :D Samhain sounds so much like Velvet used to be, running to the bathroom when someone would run water. We used to leave the water running for her and then forget to turn it off. It was such a hassle.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
we have a drinkwell and a cat it fountain and I so agree they are worth it! My kittys were the same had to leave the faucet dripping which got to be annoying especially at night. I would highly recommend the fountains for fussy drinkers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm wanting to get a fountain too, but you should look around to compare prices. I've found that there is a certain brand (Petmate) of fountain at both Petsmart and a local grocery store, Superstore. The one at Petsmart is something like $49 (Canadian), and the one at Superstore is $29. They're both the same one, just different prices. Can you guess which one I'm going to go for? lol

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I can't keep up with my cats drinking habits. From when they were kittens up to about a year, they were content with the water bowl. Then they discovered the tap, and we would be called into the bathroom every hour or so to turn on the tap. A year later, when they were two, we finally bought them a fountain. Two months later, they decided they didn't like the fountain and are back to a bowl. They aren't even interested in taps anymore.

We tried the CatIt fountain, which was pretty cheap ($30 I think in Canada) because that was the only one we saw at the time, but in retrospect, I think I would have looked for the Drinkwell one because it actually looks like water coming out of a tap, the CatIt one just has water flowing down the sides of the dome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used the petmate fountains for years--just added a second. The motor on the oldest one is about 7 years old now and ready for replacement. You can get them from petsmart but they are cheapers (30.00 or so) from the company or amazon. I had a cat who was a tap drinker--didn't know it but she was working on kidney problems. As soon as I set up the first fountain she loved it. I don't know how to make a link here, but here's the address.

http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=205

1 - 11 of 11 Posts