Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many of you have cats like this:

I've had Barnaby for 3 years and his favorite sleeping place seems to change every few months. It used to be my bed, then the recliner chair, then the papasan chair, then under the couch, then back to my bed, then my spot on the couch (um, formerly my spot, lol), now it's on the dresser.

He also used to sleep on the bed with me at some point in the night but hasn't done that in months.

In the 3 years I've had him, almost any night when I would be watching TV, he would eventually end up laying on my lap to be petted, purr, and sometimes fall asleep. He hasn't done this in over a month. However, when he wants his attention/affection he goes into the corner room and lays on the floor next to his brush when he decides it's time to be brushed and have his head scratched.

Lately it's been a morning ritual, as soon as my alarm clock goes off he comes into my room and meows until I get up. Then he leads me into the corner room to be brushed.

I'm sure in only a matter of time, he will change that routine to something else.

Curious what everyone else's cat's routines are like?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Miss Kitty has a routine but there are frequent exceptions:

at night she sleeps on the bed
in the morning she sleeps or lies at the top level of the cat tree
in the afternoon she sleeps on the carpeted floor of a closet or in a living room chair
in the evening she sleeps on the couch or in front of the TV

at random times she lap sits or lies on the living room windowsill

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Barnaby sounds like Velvet. She certainly has favorite spots, but they change periodically.
She always sleeps on our bed at night. During the day she usually spends a fair amount of time there, too. She also likes the spare bedroom bed, the glider rocker, the couch in the den and the window sill. She does a little lap time, when she feels like it.
Right now she is pretty much either on our bed or downstairs on the couch in the den. Hasn't touched the glider rocker in months, but that could change tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My kitty Oreo has a lil routine..

Come get pet while I'm trying to sleep.
Lay there for an hour to see if I'm REALLY asleep
Come back in a couple hours to see if I woke up...(he wakes me up)
Get me up in the morning.
Sit in my lap/by me when I'm on the computer
Let Amaya bite him/play with Angel if I'm not giving him attention

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones when I am sleeping because all the time I have had Barnaby, not once has he ever climbed on me or bothered me when I was sleeping. (can you say knock on wood?) Anytime he jumps up on the bed, it is just to sleep there. I have awaken to the sound of him playing with toys in my bedroom but that is also very rare.

I am wondering if the reason he hasn't slept on my bed in a while is because of the warm weather. I have a heated waterbed and maybe it's too warm for him when the house is at 75 degrees. In the winter, it gets down to 65 overnight so maybe he comes to my bed for warmth, plus I run a heater in my bedroom during the winter. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think the heat does affect cats. During the winter, often if I wake up in the middle of the night, all three cats will be sleeping at the end of the bed. In the summer, however, especially when it is hot, this rarely happens. The only time they sleep on the bed in the summer is when I sleep in late and they want to be ready to eat as soon as I get up! :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
during the night cujo moves around from my bed to the windowsill in the bedroom (which i leave open for him). during the day he likes to sleep in his favorite chair, or next to the (open) bathroom door. i can't figure out why he likes the bathroom door so much. at first i thought it was because it was hot and the tile in the bathroom was cooler, but he still does it even though the temp has cooled. he also loves the living room window, it looks out to a busy parking lot and busy strret. lots of action for him to watch.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My cats' favorite new spot is the top of the computer. It slants backwards, so on occasion they slip! When I'm in the family room, they like the top of the VCR, and at night, on top of me. These are all the warmest places in the house. In the morning they lie down wherever the sunbeam is.

This morning, for the first time in my life, I got an actual kiss on the cheek through the sheet. It made a "smack" sound and feel, enough to awaken me! I have had many "kitty kisses," that is, a little bath or love bite, but this kiss shocked me. She was still sitting on me when I opened my eyes, and we were the only "people" in the house! I feel honored. ::))

·
Banned
410 Posts
My cats seem to change their napping spots, too. It is usually my bed, sometimes the bed in the spare bedroom, sometimes the kitty bed, or the back of the couch (which seems to be sagging lately.) :D

I love to watch my cats when they sleep in front of the sliding glass doors--they seem to move with the sun, as it moves throughout the day. If it moves and is no longer shining on them, they'll get up and move with it.

I have alot of stuffed animals on the bed in the spare bedroom and Kittygirl loves to get in the middle of them. Sometimes when I am looking for her, I can't find her because she blends in with the stuffed animals! :shock:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I think the sleeping on the bed question has been answered. Now that it is getting cold at nights and it gets down to 68-70 in the house, he's been sleeping on my bed every night. Now if I can just get him back to being a lap kitty. :wink:

I was thinking of stopping his daily brushing and petting on the floor thinking that maybe then he will come to my lap to get his affection. Problem is when he leads me to that room and lays on the floor I know what he is asking for and who can say no to a big eyed cute little face. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts