Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a cat that rubs his nose off when he is placed in a cat carrier? Our 10-year old tabby Trin gets so agitated when placed in a carrier, that he tries to escape by pushing his face against the door or holes. He initially started this a few years ago with a soft carrier, and we got him a bigger hard plastic one (thinking with plastic\metal bars having less give than mesh he wouldn't feel like he could escape). However, even for a short trip to the vet (less than a mile away) he still rubs his nose raw. I thought about those products that are essentially a bag that leaves the cats head free, but I was worried they wouldn't have enough support. We even tried the cone of shame but he moves around so much he wrestles it off. And we are worried about hurting his neck.

Anyone have good kitty transport solutions?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
is it possible to just have him on a harness in the car during car trips, THEN put him in the carrier before you get out of the car so he has as little time as possible to rub his nose on it?
either that or maybe try the old comfort zone (feliway spray) in the carrier about an hour before use or maybe even some relaxant drugs?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, those are good ideas, maggie. We haven't really tried a harness with him, but it would be much nicer for his poor nose. He tends to be an anxious \ restless kitty, so we would have to have him fairly secured in the car with a harness. I think that sounds like a good thing to try in preparation for our next vet visit.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
let us know how it works! I haven't had an urgent need to practice using a harness for my little girl right now, but I keep meaning to!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts