Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I hope someone can shed some light on this problem, or offer some advice. I did try looking this up in the search function, but the situation didn't quite match what I read. So...

My gf and I moved in together about a month ago. She has had her cat (Meg) for about two years now. We bought the house from her brother & sister-in-law, who had three cats. They took two with them, but left Lor with us.

Lor had junior ranking amongst the three cats, and generally hung out in the basement, away from the other two. He would, however, come up to see us whenever we came to visit, and took quite a shine to us (unusual, according my gf's brother).

So, we read up on the procedures for introduction of cats to each other, and followed them the best we could. We kept them separate, allowing them to catch each other's scent. We swapped them around, so that Lor could stay in Megs room every second night. This went on for a couple of weeks, until we intro'd them to each other. Not a smashing success, but it slowly progressed until they could tolerate each others company in a room with only some warning meows and howls.

Meg seemed to have the upper hand as far as keeping Lor in line - he would generally just take off to the basement when he was threatened. However, somewhere along the line, he figured out we was bigger, and tougher. Meg ended up with a few scratches, and one was deep enough to warrant a trip to the vets.

It seems to go in cycles - they are more or less peaceful for a day or two, then Lor does something stupid like sneak right up on Meg. A fight breaks out, and my gf or I have to intervene.

I'm not asking for them to be best friends, or even like each other. All they need to do is not attack each other. We cannot be standing by all the time, water guns in hand, breaking up fights.

What do you folks suggest? I really do like Lor, and want to keep him, but if he keeps this up, he has to go. I'm not going to endanger my gf's cat by keeping him around - that is not fair to her.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Aaahhhh... I think you can help with this, it is sort of another 'step' of the cat-intro process. To get them sort of *used to each other* you need to encourage them to be near each other (w/in sight of) and have Good Things happen when they are near each other; petting and lovings from their people, playing with dragged strings or laser-lights (be sure to avoid any face/face confrontations or getting them too close to each other) and give them tasty food treats.
It could, eventually, help change their minds about each other if/when they realize that Good Things happen when they are around each other. The goal isn't to get them to be friends (that may *never* happen) but to get them to tolerate each other because something Good may happen.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My gf has called in the heavy guns - a "pet intuitive". Kind of like a pet psychic, I guess. I said that if it helps, I will pay half. If not, then she gets to foot the bill. :)

In the meantime: she dug up a homeopathic substance called "Rescue Remedy". Apparently it is for humans, but can be used to calm cats down as well. Two to three drops in a bowl of water seems to be doing the trick - they aren't buddies, but they suddenly have a huge increase in their tolerance for each other. Or they are just doing it to confuse us. Who knows with cats. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, Heidi and Smir.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Oh, Rescue Remedy! One of our members who works with feral cats uses it with great success. I've never used it so I didn't even think of it. Same with the Feliway, I've never used it and just don't think of it...but yeah, Merry has great results using Rescue Remedy to help calm cats down in stressful situations.
Keep it up and let us know how it goes. I would be especially interested in hearing how the "intuitive" experiment turns out...
heidi =^..^=

1 - 4 of 4 Posts