Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-- what type of scratching devices do your cats like? I have three different types for my cat-- a circular standing post covered with carpet, a horizontal cardboard scratcher, and a rope scratcher that hangs from a door. However, my cat still prefers the side of the coach and my bed mattress. :roll: Argh! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
The only one of my cats who will use a scrathing post is Crystal.
All of the others like the sofa, the bed, and Chuckie especially likes to use my legs as a scratching post......OUCH!!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Cats can be trained to scratch on appropriate things. Sisal posts are hands down the best scratching posts -- cats love them and they are good for their claws. They are sold at pet stores, otherwise you can make one. I made one with sisal and pvc piping and a wooden base from Menards for about 12 dollars, and my cats love it.

Try rubbing catnip on this, take your cat and put it on the scratching post to show them where they are supposed to go. They often get the hang of it without you even doing this. Don't be aggressive about it -- I have heard that with adult cats, if you take their paws and try to make them scratch it, they'll rebel. You can't really *tell* cats to do something -- you can ask them though, or "suggest." lol. And if you're good about it -- they'll respond beautifully. You could try moving your scratching post -- it should be out in the open. You could put it in front of a chair or bedpost that they like to scratch on. If you catch your kitty scratching something he shouldn't, just pick him up right away and put him on the scratching post.

Oh -- and the post should be tall enough so that the cat can stretch to its full extent and really get a good pull on it. That is one part of why cats love scratching -- its a wonderful stretch.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
around 4 of my cats like carpet.. but ONE doesn't like the carpet on the scratching post. She prefers the stair carpet, laying on her side, relaxing. One prefers the couch(which I don't mind because I hate it), the couch doesn't know how to get damaged either.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Some cats are very good with it, but some cats shouldn't have carpet posts because then they associate the material with scratching and will scratch up your other carpets that aren't for scratching. The underside of carpets is actually what is so good for scratching on. Funny that I don't think a lot of people know that who *make* the carpet posts -- have you guys ever seen those posts that are made out of long fluffy carpet? Duh. :?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Lets see apart from the furniture & the carpet, they have, two scratch posts one bought the other home made, (my fiance was going though a diy stage even made them a little shelter, phase didn't last long though), the have a mat lying on the floor, oh and wood from my old Ironing board that broke, we lean it against the wall,

·
Registered
148 Posts
My cat has a scratch pad/post and she uses it every day. She sometimes scratches the sofa but only on the odd occasion, and if the door is shut she will try to scratch the carpet up for some reason. :roll:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Chocolate, my Jimmy is just the same. He rarely scratches the furniture - he loves his scratching post so much :)
But he will scratch the carpet if provoked by a closed door :evil:

seashell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts