Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After my cat has pooped he always goes to the kitchen and scratches the plastic mat that his food bowl is on. He only scratches there and only after he poops, not after he pees.
The litter box is in the bathroom nowhere near the kitchen where his food/the mat is, but without fail, after pooping he'll go to the kitchen and scratch for a couple of seconds. Any ideas why he does this?

I wouldn't really mind, since he's not breaking anything. But he often does it in the middle of the night which wakes me up cause its pretty loud and i have a small apartment and dont close my bedroom door so he can come and go during the night 馃槆馃槄

Registered
I'm not positive but maybe he is trying to get the litter off his paws after he has dug into it to poop and and after he's covered it up? One of mine will consistently paw at the sides of the litterbox after he poops, which drives me crazy cuz he spends more time doing that than covering it so he sometimes ends up stepping in it -_-

Registered
Ha! Kitties are truly weird. Lovable, cute, AND entertaining! I don鈥檛 have an explanation. One of our cats scratches, without claws, all around the inside of the litter box after she uses it, like it鈥檚 a serious part of the job. Not the litter, but the sides and rim of the box. She will even reach outside the box and scratch on things around the exterior. The same kitty scratches around her place mat where she eats. Although very different times, they are the same behavior and sound like what your cat is doing. Your cat is just scratching near her food place instead of the box for some, mystical, kitty-brain reason. I think it鈥檚 a strong instinct and you may not be able to change it.

Registered
My cat scratches her food mat and i always thought she was trying to bury her food (which i saw her do when she lived in the woods, she would bury the food i gave to her if she could not eat it all)

so, my 2 cents theory is, when your cat scratches the litter to cover her poo? it triggers her "bury it" habits and she goes to bury her food?

Recently, my cat got a little Too carried away scratching her food and actually DID bury her food UNDER her food mat and it made a mess. :rolleyes: I removed the mats entirely and gave her a new, "spill proof" elevated cat bowl in it's place,
and she hated the new bowl. Refused ot eat out of it.
After a week of trying i gave her back her old bowls and mat back again,
and she has not yet ever resumed her mat-scratching behavior.
So, maybe remove her mat entirely for a week or so and then return it and see if that makes any difference for Your cat. i don't know.

Registered
also, my cat totally enjoyed scratching up that rubbery silicone type of mat way way more than the cheap, "plastic-y" type of mats found at Dollar Store. Those are slick and my cat had zero interest in clawing at those slick kind of mats.

Registered
Roxi does the scratching trick after I give her the mid day treat of Fancy Feast wet food. After she finishes she scratches around the food bowl like she does after pooping in her litter box. As Kiki's Mom suggested it appears to be a "bury" it instinct even though she doesn't do it with her normal dry food. Strange.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts