Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will soft paws work? Cat is aggressive. Are there folk remedies involving use of honey and /or oranges? New leather couch arrives next week.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just wanted to say cheers to you for asking instead of just saying "guess I'll get her declawed". :D

I've heard great things about soft paws, but never used them myself.

I use cardboard scratch pads in my house - I have 2 in different rooms, and my cats never even look at the furniture or carpets since I bought these. They last a really long time, too!

*Note: I put a piece of no-slip material under them to prevent them from sliding on the laminate flooring. If they slide a lot, the cats get scared and don't use them.

I also get the ones that lay flat on the floor, not on an angle like the one in the picture. I don't know if that would make a difference - guess it would depend on the cat.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Combine deterrents on the couch with nearby scratching devices to redirect your cat away from the couch and toward the scratchers. Note the point that morea made a passing reference to: cats don't all like to scratch the same things. So have a variety of scratchers of different materials and oriented in different directions. They must be easy and convenient for your cat to use so he/she prefers the scratchers. Then you can gradually move them away to a more convenient location for you. Don't economize on scratching posts. A post that's too short or too light and tippy won't be used by a cat. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've already tried various scratching posts - He will use them now and then, but none seems to satisfy like nice big, plump sofa or arm chair. So what we are wondering is:
1. Is there anything we can put on the furniture that will discourage him?
2. Has anyone tried "Softpaws", and do they work? (And how the heck do you get him to let you put them on?)

Thanks for any pointers you can give us!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
1. Surface deterrence: Sticky Paws, double-sided tape, laminating paper, aluminum foil, upside-down carpet runner. Scent deterrence: orange peels, citrus-scented Febreze (don't spray when the cat's around), citrus-scented aromatic oils, no-scratch sprays. Sight & sound deterrence: ssscat motion-detector aerosol spray device. Or anything else your imagination can come up with. :wink:

Some recommend a squirt bottle, but that will only work while you're standing there holding it. :)

When I first got my cats, I had a "barrier" of upside-down carpet runner (pricky points up) around the furniture, with Sticky Paws on the vertical surfaces for the first few months. Eventually they got the idea and I was able to remove the stuff. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
:wiggle

We have LOTS of scratching things.....cat trees, cardboard thingys (a favorite)...another thing is a sisal type scratcher....

I found a sisal-type rug at Target....hubby cut it and wrapped it around a regular stand....they ALL love it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been using soft paws for my cat. Although this is only his first set of them, I LOVE them. I have 2 leather couches and a cheneille chair. At first Ignatius was accidentally marking up the leather but he intentionally clawed the chair. I had to do something, and just keeping his nails short was not enough. When I got Ignatius from the breeder he was already used to having his paws touched and his claws pushed out, so luckily I have had no problems whatsoever with trimming his nails and applying the soft paws. He loves the attention and usually rolls upsidedown and sleeps throughout the process. I try to make it my way of giving him some affection.

#1 Get your cat used to having his paws handled.

#2 Be flexible about the time in which you choose to do it. Cats seem to be more fisty some times than others, so choose a time that your cat is calm and lovey dovey.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
What is "Sticky Paws"? Something like a double sided tape?
My cats scratch on the couch occasionally, but it is an old couch so I didn't really care. We are getting a brand new couch this week or next, though, and I don't want them tearing up the new one... I figured we'd probably have to get a cover for it, but if there's a way to break the habit I'd rather do that...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dusty uses her one scratch pad but I think we need more she still uses the top of the couch ni the living room. Its old but its in great shape. I tried just putting brown packing tape on the spots she claws but she picks a piece off and then scratches there. We got her a post for christmas and I think ill get one more for the other room.

I might also get some sticky paws for the vertical surface of my lounger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cat scratching furniture

We have found that spraying leather furniture with orange spray "Citrus Magic" and rubbing scratching posts with catnip keeps Wiggles away from our leather furniture. Don't use too much spray for it is strong and expensive. You should have at least 2 posts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone used Bitter Apple spray. The bottle says for dogs but i dont see why it wont work for cats? My buddy says it works wonders with his 2 dogs. I will try citrus spray though.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have used Bitter Apple. It works for cats too.
I used it to keep them from chewing on a plant. Downside is that it needs to be applied once a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We use softpaws. I have four kids.....this is how I work it with them:

Get out the number needed (they manage to get them off, you will have to replace one here and there)...fill one with glue, put the bottle in my teeth. Snatch up the kitty, depending on the personality:

Luna: 6 month old kitten, wiggles, cries, yowls, tries to run away. I pick her up, hold her baby-style...it's easy because she's wee-ish. She cannot escape my towering human form.

Widget: 1.5 yrs, does not like being picked up, at all. Usually I have to pounce to get him, but I just hold tight, and take a break in the middle if I have to.

Johan: 2yrs Best cat ever. I just do it when he is asleep because he doesn't notice. I could clash cymbals over him and he'd sleep through it.

Whiskey: 4 yrs, mean as heck when you try to do it. I usually hold her and my bf does them.

It might be rough the first few times, but they get used to it. I had a problem with Whiskey chewing hers a LOT. We realized they were the wrong size, so we bumped her up. She's a small cat but she's got mother claws. Thats the toughest part, figuring out which size will be most comfortable, because if they're comfortable, they dont bother much.

I have four cats, and 2 packs (one small for Luna, medium for the rest) generally lasts us 2 months. You will use more at first until you find a method that works for you.

I'd rec them to anyone, provided your kitty isn't a gnarly beast who will for sure chew your hand off and run if you touch him.

I'd also rec. if you do them that you move any really high kitty-towers, etc. They still climb, but they lose the super grip and I catch kitties doofing it a lot more often. Kind of silly to watch.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
If kitty likes overstuffed furniture to claw on...give kitty one!
Take one of the cat scratching posts and cover it with thick batting and maybe two layers of a decorator fabric that closely resembles the fabric of the previous couch (or if you're throwing away the couch, cut fabric directly from it!) and pad the scratch post.
I made one out of denim that my kitties loved to DEATH!

Use the double sided sticky tape to keep kitty off the couch and direct his scratching to what you want to allow him to scratch. When we purchased LR furniture, I chose Mission Style, because it was a hardwood frame and the cushions could be covered with throws. It has worked out very well for us.
Heidi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts