Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the possible causes? I don't think it's fleas, because I've checked for flea dust and she's on flea meds.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
603 Posts
My new little one was scratching alot at his ears this last week. He has ear mites. He got drops in his ears Monday and will again the next 2 Mondays. He's already stopped scratching. Don't by over the counter stuff for ear mites though, it doesn't work.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Frontline.
Frontline isn't approved for ear mites.

Revolution is approved for ear mites among other things.

You could call your veterinarian and ask if Frontline would help for ear mites. I read some stuff that says it is and others that says it isn't. If not, you should probably take your kitty in for some ear mite medicine or switch to Revolution.

Revolution is the first-ever FDA-approved, topically applied medication for cats that:
Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have you tried cleaning his years with a Q-tip? Cats have a 90 degree turn in their ear canal and you cannot puncture the ear drum if you only put the Q-tip straight down into the ear. If you get crumbly granular dirt, it is probably ear mites. If you get damp, foul smelling liquid, it is an ear infection. For both problems you need a vet visit.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is best to take the cat to the vet and get a proper diagnosis before trying any home treatments.

Ear problems can be difficult to treat and the longer they are left, the more likely they are to become chronic.

It could be yeast, wax, bacterial infection, mites, or any combination of those things.

I have a shelter adopted cat who came home with a very bad yeast infection in her ears. Who knows how long she had it before she came home with me. That was 7 1/2 years ago, and there is always a bottle of tresaderm in my fridge, because the problem keeps coming back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is it AT the ear or IN the ear?

In, prob earmites. Take a cotton swab gently and see what comes out. Earwax is a sign of current or previous infestation. You can clean them yourself anyway, but my vet did such a pristine job I never had to do it again.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
A cotton swab is much safer than a Q tip. Also, if it IS an ear infection it probably hurts like the dickens and a Q tip is going to be painful.

When I adopted MOwMOw he had raging ear infections (both ears) and the shelter had kept treating him for ear mites. His notes talked about how he hated being held and would fight. It also said he fought during ear medication. OF COURSE he was, it HURT!

It's way to easy to misdiagnose, best see a vet and have it diagnosed properly to prevent further pain and irritation to kitty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts