Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a nine year old male cat that is neutered. He is 14.5 pounds which the vet said was perfect for him and he has no other diagnosed issues other than feline asthma. He is not receiving treatment for asthma because I was told he would develop diabetes if he continued with the oral medication or steroid shots. The oral medication wasn't preferable. He still coughed, but with the steroid shot he didn't cough for 3 months. The vet really wanted me to keep him on the steroid inhaler as it wouldn't cause side effects but it was very expensive. Nearly $500 every two months. I tried it once and even that didn't work. The vet said I should keep trying it because it takes time for the medication to work but I did not have the money available. The vet convinced me to switch to the oral tablets since it was a lower dosage than the steroid shot.

This past summer I decided not to continue with the oral medication because I did not want the cat to develop diabetes which the vet was certain would happen. They didn't even seem to work that well. I instead focused on keeping the house very clean and switching his litter to a dust free brand. I also focused on him losing weight which has improved his condition. At his worst point, his gums were blue during one of his coughing fits and I was afraid he would suffocate (which led me to purchase the $500 inhaler). He coughs and wheezes throughout the day but has not come close to experiencing the blue gums I mentioned earlier. I believe his weight loss has helped with the severe coughing fits but now he has developed aggression. He has always been a little irritable but we always respected his space and so everything was fine.

He has now started actively seeking me out to lunge at me. It started with him waiting to attack me until I had my back turned and I wasn't looking. The first time he did it he was meowing for me to feed him by the kitchen but I ignored him because it wasn't meal time. That is what all the advice online says if your cat is demonstrating unwanted behavior: "Ignore him so he gets the message." Wrong. I was getting ready to leave the house in that moment when I felt my cat lunge himself at me. I had scratches that day through my clothes, no bite though. I was shocked because it hurt so badly. He used a lot of his force to make sure he hurt me. A few months has passed and he has since chased me out the front door, lunged and bitten me while I was sitting on the couch and minding my own business, and now doesn't care if I am looking straight at him, he will still lunge. Sometimes I have been able to fend him off with a pillow in between him and I, but it's still scary because he tries to come back around and get me again.

I thought the aggressive behavior was due to him wanting more food but now I don't think so. I can easily take away his food bowl and put it down with no consequence. He is lashing out at me because he is frustrated with something. He has also eaten and then come over to lunge at me and bite. Obviously his attacks have changed the relationship dynamic: I don't give him as much attention anymore because I'm afraid of him. I have had to move him into the guest bedroom because if he is free roaming the house, the behavior starts up again. Today I went into the bedroom to give him pets, and he was nothing but kind. But I know as soon as I get him outside in the general living space he will start back up again within a few days. I know he is unhappy in the guest bedroom because he cries and tries to open the door, but I can't take him out anymore because I don't want to risk getting bit while I'm pregnant.

It has gotten to the point where I have been looking to re-home him but no one I talk to wants him because of the unprovoked aggression. The last time he lunged for me was really scary because I was sitting down and he went for my stomach, not even my leg which was much closer to him, and would have been a better target. I even called the animal shelter as the last resort and when I was honest with them they said they couldn't take him because of his behavior. She suggested I take him to the vet which is what I am doing this weekend.

The cat is not a bad cat. He is absolutely fine with my husband and my mother, literally anyone else who comes in the house. He's even perfect at the vet and everyone always gushes over him. I even have a hard time believing this behavior is happening because there are times when he is nothing but friendly and wants to be near me. But the thing is, I just don't trust him anymore because in the past when I have trusted him, he's attacked me.

Aside from take him to the vet this weekend, what do I do?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ask the vet if it could be his thyroid. My hyperthyroid cat picked fights with neighborhood cats and with my other cats for a while before he was diagnosed. Even now he gets cranky and aggressive whenever his medication dosage isn't as high as it should be. Additional symptoms were weight loss and a greasy looking coat. He's never attacked me but he's always outside, and I'm not.

You didn't say how you managed to accomplish the weight loss and how difficult it was. If you're the one who always feeds him, and he's hungry, he may be attacking you because he thinks it's a way to get food. If you think that's the case, I'd make sure he's getting plenty of protein and fats, and limit the carbohydrates . . . sort of a kitty Atkins diet.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Steroids can have a mental effect (violence or depression IIRC) on people. Might they have such on cats?

My cat will attack, but it is play and we both know it. I'm walking my thousands of steps and he will swipe at me as I go past sometimes. It's a game.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be really unfortunate if the treatment I selected for him had that effect on him. :(

What he is doing now is not play. His tail gets puffy and his ears go back like he's mad. And he just looks angry.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
The fact that he's fine with your husband and mother and other people, appears to me that it's somethig about you that he doesn't like. Did this attacking start when you became pregnant by any chance? Animals can sense that, and some have the opposite effect and become more loving and protective. The only thing that comes to my mind at the moment is that you should be prepared at all times to "protect' yourself. Arm yourself with a water pistol, or sprayer, and when he attacks spray him in his face when he attacks. A lot of cats hate that, and hopefully he would too. Continue the petting of him in the bedroom where he doesn't attack you. If the water spraying doesn't deter him, for your own safety and your new baby, you should find him another home at a cat shelter. Also some humane societies have a "farm program" where they give cats like him to farmers as a barn cat to keep down mice and rats. All the best.

Reactions: jking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your response. The only difference I can think of between me and my family is that he has always been more bonded to me. The behavior started shortly before I got pregnant but it didn't stop when I became pregnant. I feel heartbroken because I love the cat and it has taken me two months of fretting to realize the cat can't stay in the house. The only reason I was conflicted was that he was so friendly in certain circumstances! I do want to do what is best for him.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I would try the water spray when he attacks and see if it will deter him from doing it. Just be very careful of any scratches or bites that you may get that break the skin, and disinfectant them as soon as possible as they can cause a serious infection, and you don't want to have to take a course of antibiotics to get rid of it while you're pregnant. I hope things go well for you. Give us an update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for being so kind! I definitely want to see what the vet says and I will update sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi everyone. I never ended up responding with what the vet said but we did bloodwork and checked his thyroid. He's completely healthy. The aggression has not stopped. I thought we were doing okay for a while and I was starting to transition him back into the shared living space but he gave me a nasty scratch and puncture wounds that brought me to my knees three weeks ago. All completely unprovoked. At this point I don't know if I feel comfortable rehoming him because his behavior is still the same and I don't want anyone else to get hurt.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I hate to say this but this cat is not only a danger to yourself but could be a danger to others if he is rehomed.....what if he went after a baby, small toddler, children, an elderly grandparent? I hate to think of what damage he could do.. His behavior is very erratic especially the fact that he strikes unprovoked.... Unfortunately some cats need to be euthanized, and in this instance that would be my choice. There are many sweet lovable cats available in shelters that need a good home and deserve it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the reply. I was seriously considering having him put down but it looks like I may have found a home with a male owner who knows everything about the situation and is willing to take him on. No kids in the home either. It would be an ideal home for him if it were to work out. It was very hard to find a home with these conditions because
other people who were interested had other animals and kids. Of course, he's only lashed out at me but I don't trust the cat anymore not to attack. We will know more tomorrow once we meet with the potential owner. I can update this thread later on.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
That sounds good, especially if the cat is friendly to him right away. A cat prefers to choose its owner and when one goes along with that, the bond is usually stronger than if someone picks a cat out because they like its particular color/pattern/whatever. I really believe the cat knows when you got pregnant and didn't want this rival for your affection.....the fact that he attacked your stomach when you were sitting rather than your legs makes me think that he knows that's where the baby is, otherwise he would have gone after your legs. I really think he's a very jealous cat. .I really hope things work out well with this man. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, so we did drop him off with the new owner, he seemed nice. I felt nervous doing so because I do want the best for my cat still. The space was smaller than what my cat is used to, but I figured we should give it a shot. My cat doesn't have many options left after acting out so much. I did tell the guy to give me a call if he needs me to pick the cat up again. I still feel sad because my goal really was to keep my cat but he just made it impossible to do so.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Thanks for the update.....It sounds like a good solution for the cat. I would give the guy a followup call in a week to see how the cat has settled in. You could let the guy know about "catios" to give the cat some more room----one can buy them or make your own, some even attach to windows...
All the very best!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts