Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My husband is a professional photographer and we would like to expand his business to include show cats.
We would like to set up an enclosed booth at a cat show, shoot digitally, create a slide show to choose pictures and then print high quality pictures and frame them on the spot. If the customer doesn't like the pictures then no money is due.

Do you think there is a market for this at a cat shows? We have attended 5-8 shows and have never seen anyone offering this service.

Where do we begin? Thank you

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm thinking that if you have a lot of breeders in the area who like to show cats - it would be a great start! Try looking in cat magazines - see if there are a lot of people who would need your services. It might help if you took photos of other show animals too - such as dogs - people love their puppies too! ^_^ Heck... they even had hedgehogs shows! You might be able to rake in some bucks if you expand your photo taking to other animals.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I definately think any sort of on site photography would do lots of business. To get started I would think you'd need some great shots to display at your booth.

Do you have all of the equipment to develop and frame the photos that you can easily transport from one place to another?

I also agree that doing dog shows can add business as well. I would think there were more dog than cat shows, but I've never been to either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
kana, I haven't yet been to a show, but plan on going to one in september. I think your idea is great and I've been thinking in the same lines myself, using a digital camera, a portable computer and printer do do the photo's on the spot.

I think you should contact one of the organisations that runs the shows and ask them. Since most shows have companies showing stuff already (like cat toys, food etc) I don't see why a corner somewhere for a photographer wouldn't be possible. They might charge you a fee for setting up "store" there, but I doubt it's extremely expensive and I'm sure you'll get both orders there and afterwards, after the show.

Good luck and please ask your husband for some tips on how to photograph cats... I'm dying to learn since my cats never seem to want to pose for me. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
At every cat show almost I have been to they have had a professional photo stand... A lot of them seem to take up the service.

I think if you are going to try this then also make leaflets offering service to people outside of the show too. Consider how far you'd be willing to travel out of your home town with your equipment to photograph cats at home. I would have loved a professional shoot of Dylan but as he was not a show cat it was tough - and I only lived a lil way from the show!

I just think you may get more business if you were to offer the service outside too.

Hayley x x

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tips.

We have the Canon EOS1 professional digital camera which is AWESOME!! We wouldn't be able to print out huge pictures on site so the frames would be limited to something less fancy, but functional.

I was shocked that there wasn't anyone doing this at the shows that we attended. We also plan to do dog shows. We recently moved our studio to our home and did weddings every weekend, but we would like do something different now.
There is a cat show monthly within driving distance from us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yes i've seen professional photographers at shows. Many breeders get their cats photo taken at them. I, like others here, wish there was another option than petsmart to get my animals professionally done. I've even been considering buying some nice fabric and creating my own photo studio at home when I begin my cattery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts