Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn't the correct place to post this, but it's very urgent. I need responses fast. I don't mind if this is moved, I just really badly want answers.

I have a cat who is a little over 6 years old now. He's never had many health problems, but yesterday, I was laying next to him on the floor, when he gave out a very strange sounding wine. I thought it was nothing, but he did it a few more times, sounding more irritating each time. He started licking his rear very frequently, maybe every 3 minutes. He stopped for an hour, then started back up again at night. It was worse at night. I carried him down to his litter box, where he had diarrhea. It smelled very foul. I don't know if that is relevant or not, but in case it is, I will say so. He then left the litter box, and started licking again, meowing if I touched him. He is doing it again today. He is showing very little activity. When he walks, it is slow. Whenever he isn't being aggressive, I try to pet him around the tail area. He doesn't like that, but still doesn't tend to say much when I do it, but he did this time. He likes to stay by the heaters and lay there for a while. What I think is that he swallowed a string he was playing with. That, or he picked up something from a new cat that I picked up 2 weeks ago, which seems very likely. That cat had all of his shots though, and didn't seem to have any sort of sickness. I don't think this is a urinary infection. I just want to know what it is, and what I should do about it. After I came back from a week trip in Florida, he seemed better. More active, and happier, but something is still strange. His anus is very red, and he still wants to lick it. He won't make painful noise unless I scratch it. This would be normal, but the meow does not sound right. His eyes are also looking weird. He has a small white tissue-like surface moving over the edge of his eyes, the inside part. Not the center, but towards the nose. His nose is also runny. I don't know if he's had any diarrhea like before, but he still seems weird. I'm frightened for him. Should I take him to the vet? Could it be a common flu? Another thing I can think that it is, is he swallowed a string he was playing with, and it's still inside him. He still plays with the new cat, and chases strings, but there are still symptoms of something. I need help.

Thanks so much for any response. Again, sorry this isn't where it's supposed to be, but I couldn't wait any longer. I need answers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It seems like you're noticing several things going on with your cat that are not his normal. It's hard to know without seeing or knowing your cat, but it sounds like a vet visit is in order. It's what I would do anyway. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
It seems like this has been going on for several weeks and isn't getting better...only worse. Definitely way past time to go to the vet.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Let us know what the vet says is wrong with your cat. Something definitely is....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See that's the thing. It isn't getting worse, it's just changing. He used to be very irritated and not active at all. Now all he does is try to stay warm, and his eyes look strange.

I think I might have something theorized.

What if he got the diarrhea from stress when the new cat moved in. He really didn't like him. I read that that can happen. So in this fever he had, he stopped eating for a while, losing some weight. He is now eating, because he and the new cat are now friends. But with his weight loss, his eye sockets are still where they used to be, while his eyes are farther inwards.

That seems a bit crazy, but it also seems like a possibility. I have a picture of his eyes.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/9623/photo0114wn.jpg

Thanks for all the response.

Again, it's not getting worse, it's just changing. The symptoms he had before are all gone, but new ones are happening.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Take your cat to the vet! He is obviously not well, and the longer you wait to get him diagnosed and treated, the worse his prognosis for recovery may be. Why are you waiting?

Laurie

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sounds to me he is really sick now, and you should rush him to the vet! He is inactive and cannot keep his temperature (try to stay warm), he is losing weight, and his eyes are worse. None of these sound good to me.

Changing symptom could mean he is getting worse. There are many deseases that show different symptoms on different stage. The change in symptoms highly likely means his desease has advanced to another stage. Please get him treated, NOW! If you are tight on money right now, I think we have a sticky somewhere talking about how to find cheap vets/negotiate with your vet for a later payment.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Sunken eyes may indicate severe dehydration. Dehydration may have resulted from diarrhea. Diarrhea may have resulted from a string impacted somewhere in his intestinal tract, allowing only liquid stool to pass by it. Has he urinated? If not, he may have a urinary blockage, which is excruciatingly painful and will kill him in a matter of hours if not treated immediately by a vet.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?!?!?!?!

Laurie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Get him to the vet ASAP! He may have a bug that is making him sick. He is probably suffering, please don't make him go through that. Cats don't have voices to tell us what is wrong. The sooner you go, the sooner he will feel better!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not waiting.

I guess it would have been useful to tell you guys this, but I had a vet appointment today at 6. They said he is dehydrated badly by worms. They are giving him an IV for 17 hours. He should be better. Thanks for the urgency in your responses though. That just shows that all of you have lots of respect and care for animals.

The funny thing is, he's such a happy cat. He sat around and smiled and play with the other cat and chased strings, even though he was sick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been over an update. After I drove him home from the vet, he was great. 3 days later, he started looking sick again. I was very upset. Instead of going to the doctor, I thought of all the different things that could possibly make him sick. I found the reason behind everything. What was making him sick and gave him the worms in the first place, was my dog. They've been living together for years. The cat loves to lick her back, but at the time, I didn't know that cat saliva is filled with all kinds of weird things. Her back started to grow itchy. I started spraying medicine on it. He continued licking her back, causing the rashes to return even after they had been ridden, so I kept spraying it, not even realizing that it was leaving in the first place. The medicine on her back was ingested by him when he licked her, causing him to get diarrhea, causing him to get dehydrated. I seems as if I've already trained him not to do this. His eyes are no longer sunken, nor is his skin loose. The dogs rashes also went away. Everything is back to normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts