Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Buster is well-accustomed with his new home and his true personality has shown up, I notice something interesting. He likes to meow, not yowling or whining, but of a constant kitty 'mee-ow' quality that's soft and we end up up 'singing' to each other. He meows, I meow, he meows in reply and so forth.

Is it boredom, amusement, constant attention-seeking? He does this at night as well as day, and is in no way stressed or alarmed, more of a question in tone.

My friend also has a tabby, and she likes to meow only at night. Is this a tabby quality?

I find it amusing, and want to know if others have singing cats. :p

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I dont' call it singing but Tuffy 'talks' to me alot - He follows me everywhere I go in the house and while I'm working or watching Tv he likes to talk. He meows back to me when I say something etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you ever noticed that cats save meowing for humans?

Mother cats will "chirp" or PTTTTRT" as a communication for a kitten...or they purr/hiss to relate a message....I am not saying cats will not meow at each other just that is rare..they mostly use body language for each other.

You rarely see a cat following another meowing....but a human!!!..pfffft!!!

I can not remember the last time I went to the bathroom without a cat needing to talk to me...lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lola has a very large vocabulary of meows and talks aaaall the time. If she has been home alone awhile I often come home to a long monologue, which I assume has something to do with how many birds came to the bird feeder while I was gone.

If you're cat responds when you meow to him he probably just enjoys a good conversation. Even if you can't understand each other, he can still like the interaction. If he does it at night I would make sure to consistently ignore him, otherwise he will learn that meowing always gets him attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts