Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has a bad rash and nothing is helping. Most vets around me that have a dermatologist are closed due to covid-19. Does anybody know what this could be or how to treat it? I’ve assumed it’s an allergy but all the allergy shampoos, sprays and medicine haven’t been working

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Ouch, that looks painful. Not just a rash, but some serious hair loss. The first thing that comes to my mind is fleas. My Cleo is very allergic and loses hair and develops sores from fleas. I would contact any vets that are open and send a picture and ask for help. A vet school might respond, even if they're officially closed. I would try anti-itch lotions or treatments, not specifically allergy treatments.

Beautiful cat, gorgeous markings. I hope you find answers soon.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
It looks to me that it may be Ringworm...which isn't a "worm" but a really nasty contagious fungus, that can spread to humans as well other animals. Involves a lot of work with washing any bedding, vacuuming every day, washing floors, and administering a medication to the affected areas. Best to get a definite diagnosis by a vet, but in meantime I found that an over-the-counter antifungual medication Clotrimaderm (Clotrimazole Cream USP 1%) was helpful (also helpful for Athlete's Foot and Jock Itch as well as Ringworm). It's applied to clean, dried skin twice a day. If there is no improvement within 2 wks., it's something else. All the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts