Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my kitten has been with me for 3 days now and he's been living in my room mostly. everytime i leave him in there for a period of time, and then come back, i notice that my room smells PRETTY BAD. so i picked him up and sniffed him, *whoosh* i was gagging already. my little kitty smells! does anybody know what i can do to make him less stinky? he's only 11 weeks old, i don't want to give him a bath, also, there are a lot of small clumps stuck to his hair near his anus and some of them are really hard to rip off, i was wondering if i could cut this hair off that has small clumps of litter stuck to it for i believe this is what is causing the smelly cat. i also noticed that he doesn't groom himself as often as he should.

my mom told me that cats can get rid of their stink by sun bathing but it's been raining the past week. can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You again! :lol: I had a problem with my cat when he was younger bc he's long haired. I used warm water on a paper towel to soften the clumps. Sometimes if it was really bad i'd have to cut them out (very carefully.) There are no-water towelette thingys you could use to freshen him up with. They're called bathing clothes for cats i think. They're usually in the pet isle of most grocery stores. I also saw a cat powder bath once but i've never tried it. Not sure about the sun bathing thing. As he gets older he'll start grooming himself more I think. At least that's what Fallon (my cat) did. Good luck! :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fallon137 said:
You again! :lol: I had a problem with my cat when he was younger bc he's long haired. I used warm water on a paper towel to soften the clumps. Sometimes if it was really bad i'd have to cut them out (very carefully.) There are no-water towelette thingys you could use to freshen him up with. They're called bathing clothes for cats i think. They're usually in the pet isle of most grocery stores. I also saw a cat powder bath once but i've never tried it. Not sure about the sun bathing thing. As he gets older he'll start grooming himself more I think. At least that's what Fallon (my cat) did. Good luck! :wink:
lol! mine is a long hair too! i'll look for those towelletes. maybe they have scented ones! :wink: i'll see if i'll have a chance to cut some off, as he is full of energy, that rascal.

have you ever given your cat a bath btw?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Kittens are often rather, um, lax about their personal hygiene. :oops: It's something they learn from other cats, especially mom. Two of my longhairs were pretty slovenly as kittens and I had to keep their rears shaved for a couple of months. That might be helpful for your little guy. Have a groomer or the vet do it, though--if you nicked the skin in your efforts to trim, you could have a whopping infection on your hands.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts