Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me state that Im a huge animal lover domestic or wild. I dont feel one companion animal is better than another. They are all wonderful and unique beings. Ok that aside...I wanted to paste a bit of an article with stats in it about cats and vet care. The information in this article is just one more reason why people turn to Catforum for advice. The information they find here is invaluable plus it helps educate them about their feline companions. Which isnt easy to find out there in the animal world.

From this article: http://www.usaweekend.com/08_issues/080706/080706cats.html

to the general public, cats have less value than dogs. Another indication of this is that far more pet owners claim their lost or stolen dogs at shelters than cats. The Humane Society of the United States says an estimated 30% of those dogs who land in shelters eventually are reclaimed. Of the lost cats who find themselves in a shelter, a meager 2% to 5% are ever identified by their owners. Sadly, well over half those shelter cats are never adopted, and most are euthanized.

Fewer vet visits and less research

The same rationale may be used, in part, to explain why cats don't see a veterinarian nearly as often as dogs. Vet visits for pet cats have fallen 11% since 2001, according to a new survey from the American Veterinary Medical Association, with more than a third of all cats never visiting a veterinarian in 2006 (compared with 17% of dogs who didn't see a vet). "Veterinarians can't treat clients we don't see," adds veterinarian Jane Brunt, AAFP past president.

Vets also can't treat what they don't know about. In a seemingly self-perpetuating cycle, far more dollars are spent on dog health issues than on cats. In 2008, the Morris Animal Foundation, a nonprofit funder of pet and wildlife health studies, is spending nearly three times as much on canine health initiatives as on cat health research. Even the scientists seem more interested in studying dogs; in 2008, there were more than 119 proposals submitted to Morris for grants to study dog health, three times more than proposals to study cats.

"Dogs are given preferential dollars for research," says veterinarian Anna Worth, president of the American Animal Hospital Association. "Veterinarians have more tools to treat dogs than cats. For example, while there is pain medication for cats, it's been slow in developing, and there haven't been as many options as there are for dogs."

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I'm someone that would choose a dog over a cat any day of the week if my circumstances allowed it. However, it makes me angry that cats are short changed like this compared to dogs. They are such lovely little animals ... they dont deserve it :(

I did some online research about the 'cats right to roam' in the UK a while back and was faced with forum after forum where people were just being vile about cats - some of their comments were sickening. I was rather shocked that cats are hated so much by such a significant number of people. I had no idea.

Also, I do get tired of going into pet stores and seeing so much dog stuff compared to cat stuff. In the UK, cats are now the most popular pet, so why arent the pet shops stocking more cat stuff?

As for cats being of 'lesser value' ... what sort of garbage is that?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I have observed this anti-cat prejudice in society for many years. It is the major reason it's so hard to find a vet who is knowledgeable about the health problems and treatments unique to cats. The societal discrimination against cats seems to even extend as far as veterinary training. :( Another good example of the pro-dog bias is the difference in the way the Animal Control Officer here in Guntersville treats dogs and cats.

The Guntersville ACO will drive around with a stray dog in his truck, knocking on doors, till he finds the dog's owner and returns the dog.

On the other hand, a stray cat picked up by the ACO is driven directly to the shelter, and is put on a 48-hour countdown to its death. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts