Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, everyone! I am in dire need to help. I have 4 indoor cats, and 3 of them use the litter box habitually. However, one of them was a rescue kitten, who was never really given a litter box, so he developed a habit of eliminating on the bathroom tiles. I brought him in as a very little kitten, and his defecation size was very small, which I would clean immediately after he relieved himself. Unfortunately, my lack foresight and irresponsibility kept me from giving him a litterbox early on. Later on when I brought in a litter of kittens, everyone was vaccinated, spayed, and provided litter boxes. However, Telemachus has not been able to imitate the litter habits of other cats, nor does he seem to understand the function of the litter box. I once put him in the litter box, and he began playing with the pellets. He is around 16 months now and is otherwise a very healthy cat.

I am hoping that I can get some good advice here since I have to clean after him twice a day. This also means that I can't ask anyone else to care for his litter needs in my absence. I am really looking forward to your advice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep putting him in the box. Cats play with clean litter, it's fine and normal. Put his waste in the box to smell like him and put a big box with at 3-4" of litter in the spot he normally goes potty. He'll catch on, and eventually you'll be able to move the box to a more convenient spot. Just be consistent with whatever method you choose.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is probably too late now, but , when i first took in a wild feral cat, i kept her in bathroom for first 4 or 5 days (and then, only added in 1 other room) and closed her in with two (2) litter boxes. Also nervous cats prefer smaller areas at first anyway. Later, she got run of the house, but not at first.
Being closed in a room with 2 litter boxes worked. She got the hang of it right away. In 2 years, she has never missed her box. I give her 2 boxes, as i read cats like to pee in one box, and poop in the other box, and my cat must have read the same article, as that is what she does.

I don't know if you could close in your cat in a small room with 2 litter boxes for a few days? That might do the trick. And then expand it to be 2 rooms the cat is allowed into. .........and then, if all goes well? then allow cat back into whole apartment again.

and yes, the other poster's idea of putting her poops into the box FOR her is good idea. You might also be able to wipe up her pee with a Paper Towel
and somehow transfer her pee smell onto the litter box by placing bits of that papertowel into the litter box.
There is also a product on the market called litter box attractants, designed to have a scent that the cat will be interested to go pee on top of. I haven't used them, but what do you have to lose?

Also, do all these 4 cats get along? Is the litter box placed in a safe area where "Mrs Pee-on-floor" can get to the litter box without being trapped or having to pass by any threatening areas?

and lastly, you will have to go to pet store or Amazon to buy some types of Enzymes to remove all the smell of cat urine off of your bathroom floor. Just the mere smell of that makes the cat want to pee there again.......and again....... and again. Soap and water will not remove the scent. You have to buy special cat urine enzymatic cleaners. And use that Every time she pees on floor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
also,,
do you have both an open litter box (no lid) and a closed litter box (has a lid or cover). It might be your cat has a preference. Who knows. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you have both an open litter box (no lid) and a closed litter box (has a lid or cover). It might be your cat has a preference. Who knows. Worth a shot.
Open litter tubs. Circular, large, low height, and very comfortable for the cats the maneuver in. We don't have Amazon here. I'll try a DIY enzymatic solution. Thanks!

By the way, one of my cats also likes to maintain separate boxes for pee and poop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
and yes the other poster is right, DO keep placing her IN the litter box.
Do you have the option to close this cat out of the room she pees on the floor in? Can you prevent her from entering that room? 🚪or, that is not an option in your home.
IF you have option of preventing this cat from even entering the room she likes to pee on floor in, until after she is solidly using the litter box like a champ,
then that might be an idea to consider.
but,
maybe you can not keep her out of that room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts