Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 yr old Tuxedo DSH
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! First I want to disclaim that we have already seen a vet yesterday. The vet couldn't find anything wrong internally or in my cat's mouth, and concluded that he was just stressed.

She gave him an injection and put him pheremone therapy. The vet said that within a day of the injection my cat would be eating. He still isn't eating. She had a follow up call today and said to just give it time.

My boyfriend and I (the only occupants in the house) have been traveling a lot lately, though we never leave him more than 3 days alone. My boyfriend has been and still is on an extended trip. Last Friday I spent the night elsewhere for New Year's Eve and came back the next day.

My cat (Bruce) has an automatic feeder and has had no previous problem wolfing down his food... Until Saturday. I saw that he had two dispensed portions laying full in his bowl, that's when I was immediately concerned. I began to put his sitting food away so that I could monitor how much he was/wasn't eating.

For the past few days he's only been eating a dozen pebbles of kibble, and nothing more. I've tried several different kinds of wet food and even warmed raw food, he didn't eat. He did eat some chicken in gravy but that was it. I got him some cat grass and thankfully he ate some.

He had part of his intestine removed a few years ago and we were worried it might have been a rupture, but Bruce has been extremely active and didn't feel any pain when me or the vet felt his abdomen.

Today, day after the vet, he's not eating at all. He had a few good licks of that squeezable tube snack but that was it. Is there anything else I should try???

I've since catified the house by getting him a new litter box and litter in the living room. I've also opened the curtains to get some light in and moved his cat tree away from a corner and more central in the living room. Since then he's been loving it but... Still no eating.

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
Is there anything else I should try???
Another vet. Four days of eating almost nothing isn't something that needs time. If my girls are having an off day eating-wise, I give it 24 hours before panicking.

How old is your little guy?

Just a thought, but were fireworks set off where you live? Idiots set off fireworks where I live and Charlee will disappear for hours at a time and won't eat. But it never lasts more than a day.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
3 yr old Tuxedo DSH
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another vet. Four days of eating almost nothing isn't something that needs time. If my girls are having an off day eating-wise, I give it 24 hours before panicking.

How old is your little guy?

Just a thought, but were fireworks set off where you live? Idiots set off fireworks where I live and Charlee will disappear for hours at a time and won't eat. But it never lasts more than a day.
Tomorrow morning is when my boyfriend gets back from his trip. I plan on taking him to a different vet together. He's had Bruce ever since he was a kitten (he is 3 now). I'm really worried and I feel like I'm going to vomit, I'm so stressed.

I actually don't know if any fireworks in my area were set off. I really hope not. I was worried about leaving him alone for New Year's for that exact reason. My state has a permanent firework ban in place, but there's always a bunch of people that bring in illegal fireworks anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cat maybe once a yr goes on a 24-48hr hunger strike when she decides she dosnt like a food anymore and demands different brands.
A few yrs ago she didnt eat for a full week immediately after a vet gave her a meloxicam injection which caused kidney disease, she also wouldnt drink and behaviourwas super weird, horrible sideaffects. Kidney disease i believe is the biggest danger for not eating that long. 4 days is definitely too long in your case. This is a product ive used in the past which stimulates appetite and is packed with nutrients while there not eating. Down side is it can get realy messy

Product Cat Font Carnivore Liquid

·
Registered
3 yr old Tuxedo DSH
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, so I got my cat to eat a lot last night. The problem is, he would only eat canned tuna and tuna squeeze tubes. After reading your comment I began to wonder if my cat was just on a hunger strike as well?

Big thanks for the suggestion. Until I can talk with the vet again, should I give him nutripet in addition to canned tuna? It's the only thing he'll eat and I'm worried he'll not have enough nutrition.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your cat. My vet gave me something similar for Bruce for the same reason and now I'm worried... She gave him Depo Medrol.

·
Registered
3 yr old Tuxedo DSH
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[Background]
I recently moved in with my boyfriend around 7 months ago. He had had his cat, Bruce, ever since he was a tiny kitten. He is 3 years old now.

Around 4 weeks ago, I took a long distance trip for Christmas. I left 2 days before Christmas Eve. My boyfriend then left for his long distance trip on Christmas Eve. I drove back the day before Christmas, so the cat was home alone for a total of 3 days. He had an automatic feeder and a refilling water jug.

When I had returned home, it looked like there was whole kibble vomit on the stairs leading up to the apartment (all indoor). His kibble bowl was full of a day's worth of portions. I messaged my boyfriend and he said he must've gotten stuck in a room, and when he got out gorged himself.

Bruce was acting normal, just happy I was home. Fast forward to New Year's Eve, I leave the house and I'm away for the night. I return the next afternoon to find that Bruce has several portions of food in his bowl. He hadn't eaten that night, morning, or afternoon. Only after I got home he started to eat.

The next day or so he had an alarmingly giant sized turd, almost like a human had squatted in his box and dropped one. When I messaged my boyfriend he was very concerned and told me to keep an eye on Bruce. In the following days, Bruce stopped eating. His behavior changed drastically.

Bruce stopped eating and grooming. He was also EXTREMELY affectionate towards me, which is very abnormal. He is normally a proximity cat, and is happy to just be in the same general room, or occasionally at the foot of the bed. He normally comes by for some pets and cuddles, and then goes about his day.

However, while my boyfriend was still away, he was either laying on me, or laying right next to me and watching me. I tried everything to get him to eat. I got him all sorts of treats and a wide variety of cat food (wet and raw). Nothing worked. I took him to the vet and she said he was just stressed. She gave him Depo Medrol (to eat) and then gave us Feliway dispensers and spray. She said he would be eating within hours.

Bruce didn't eat at all that day. He didn't eat at all the next day, not even a few bits of kibble. I was seriously concerned. I had gone through possibly a dozen cans of different wet food within the week, nothing worked. I tried tuna the night after the vet and he thankfully gorged himself on that, but wouldn't eat anything else. The next day he didn't eat until after my boyfriend came home from his trip. Ever since then Bruce returned to normal and is eating/behaving normal.

I worry about what would've happened if something happened to either of us? Would Bruce just straight up starve himself to death? If my boyfriend hadn't come back, I don't think he would've ate. I'm really worried about this.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Have the cat checked by a vet to rule out medical issues.
And in the future, don't leave him alone. Have someone stay with him in your home or else have someone come in at least once a day to pet him and play with him and feed and so on. It sounds to me as if he takes it really hard if he is left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts