Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a cat that gets stressed over weird/seemingly small things? How did you know your kitty got stressed over it?

I ask because over the weekend Fynn got a bout of idiopathic cystitus and a common cause is a stressor or change in the household. From what I can think, schedules weren't overly changed (I've always fed the cats between 930 and 11 depending on my schedule. This might seem like two drastic time differences, I'm not sure, but Fynn has been used to this since July). There has been no moves, furniture changes, additions, or parties at my house. Over the weekend we helped some friends move and were gone most of the day on Saturday (9am-10pm) and that is when his first signs showed up. Could the extended time away stress him?? He was with our other cat Meenu all day so I couldn't imagine he got lonely.

What are your experiences with stressed out cats??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I really don't think that would be enough to stress out Fynn IMO. Usually the biggest stressors on cats are new animals or people in the house (even visiting for a day, especially if there are noisy children and the cat is not used to them), or moving to a new house, or even outdoor cats that they can see and get upset over.

And the main signs you would see in a stressed cat would be behavioral I think, like inappropriate elimination, changes in interactions with people or other household pets, destructive behavior when it is not the norm, etc.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
With cats it can be something we would notice or realize is a stressor - like thunder, guests staying over, new pets, moving, ect - or it can be something you would never even think of or notice - like a new neighborhood cat, change of cleaning product, or construction a block over.

In our house the cats have varying tolerances and ways of showing their stress.

Jitzu gets aggressive when she's stressed and people she doesn't know is a major trigger for her. As you can imagine this cannot lead to good situations, so I deal with it by removing her to a quiet room when i can tell she's reaching the end of her rope.

Doran and Muffin are very low-stress creatures...but Doran will start marking in the spring when outdoor cats start coming around. if he sees a cat outside, especially near our home, he will spray nearby the window. That's one sign and expression of fear/stress.

Torri...is a very anxious kitty, although she's improving. She HATES loud noises - from an alarm clock, thunder, street scrapers (yay Canada, lol), to fireworks, ect. She also really isn't a fan of cats she doesn't know, strangers, ect. She's also very communicative when she's stressed. She'll growl and hiss, then try to run and hide or snuggle up to her dad. She feels more secure when my BF holds her when she's a little nervous, but when it's things like people or strange animals she'd prefer to just not be around them.

It's a matter of watching your cats and learning their individual signs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts