Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right forum - this has to do with mental health. My girl is 17 yo and she has crf. My apartment doesn't have much in it for stimulation. Asia sleeps a lot of the time but sometimes I see her just walking from room to room and I just wish I could give her more before she goes. What do people think of those cat strollers? Asia did go outdoors at one time - when she was younger. She doesn't resist when I put her in her carrier to go to the vet; I'm wondering if she likes just having the change. Go ahead and tell me if you think I'm projecting, I want to know what people think about it. Would a cat stroller be too much for a 17 yo girl? I'm thinking I would only take her where no dogs or little kids would be around - just nice scenery.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've been pondering a stroller myself, for a while. I know Paizly would totally freak out about it... kinda wonder if Nebbie would be okay with it, though.

My only problem is that while I would really like to take it for a walk down the little road by my house, it's "paved" with gravel-ish asphalt, and would probably be quite unnerving. It would be jittery/vibrate a lot AND probably be loud... unless I got some sort of foam or thick rubber wheels, or the stroller had really good shocks/absorbers.
On a cement sidewalk, I'm sure it would be just fine. But to get any at a park or such, I would have to pack everything up in my car and drive at least 2 miles. Not sure I want all that hassle, as I have health problems and by the time I got there, wouldn't have energy left for walking!

They are on e-bay for quite a bit less than retail, and probably just as good. You can also get rain covers for them, if YOU want to brave going out in such weather to give kitty some fresh air.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In October I had convinced my dad to get a harness and leash for Casie. She was too fat for the harness so we got her a collar. Since we have 30 acres of land away from roads, I walked her around outside and showed her the woods and fields(she was known for trying to get outside) eventually I figured out that she wouldn't leave a certain area and would run home for safety so I took her off the leash and we enjoyed being outside together.

So if you don't want to use a stroller, that could always be an option.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In October I had convinced my dad to get a harness and leash for Casie. She was too fat for the harness so we got her a collar. Since we have 30 acres of land away from roads, I walked her around outside and showed her the woods and fields(she was known for trying to get outside) eventually I figured out that she wouldn't leave a certain area and would run home for safety so I took her off the leash and we enjoyed being outside together.

So if you don't want to use a stroller, that could always be an option.
Unfortunately, I live in the city. I have a backyard but I share it with the upstairs neighbors who have a dog.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a pet stroller. I bought it for my older cat, Budhi, a Siamese mix who has since passed & he loved it! He was the curious boy and since all my cats are inside only, it was the best way to get them some outside stimulation.

However, though Budhi loved it, my female Raisin only tolerates it to please me, I think, but she enjoys the birds and ducks and other animals once we get going.

Homer the male Maine Coon-type cries incessantly, therefore has never made it out of the driveway. In fairness, though, Homer pees and poos himself in any carrier, box, crate or cage. He has to go to the vet wrapped like a papoose in a big blankie.

Silly boy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Budhi one month before he died

He ESPECIALLY loved it as he got older. He had CRF (kidney failure) so he was pretty weak and frail the last six months of his life. He spent most his time looking out the window,though. The stroller is great because they are treated as the princes and princesses that they know they are. We would stop and watch the birds and little kids would "ooh and ah" over him. Sweet boy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pet strollers are completely enclosed with strong nylon zippers - no one will get out accidentally. I unzipped it in the picture so I could get a good shot of him.

They don't seem to mind other animals - even my shy female doesn't freak out with dogs or people - though she would be hiding under the bed at home.

·
Registered
233 Posts
(silly 5 minute rule)

The cat is in a darkened area, like a den, too. My female nests in it at home. And most kids and dogs and even adults don't even look twice at the stroller, they probably think it's a kid in there - it's pretty dark inside with black nylon screening.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have this one:
Amazon.com: Pet Gear PG8100ST Happy Trails Pet Stroller, Cobalt Blue: Kitchen & Dining

It was around $90, U.S., free shipping from Amazon

(They have a $48 one on there now too, that wasn't there when I bought mine.) My stroller is also great for carrying a lot of stuff under the passenger compartment a huge mesh with metal frame basket - dunno about the cheaper one. It has a two-drink holder, and an area with room for your phone (like a tray at the hand level) and nicely padded hand rail. Folds up really flat and the wheels are hard urethane wheels. There is a foot brake on both back wheels.
Mine is very sturdy and well made Five stars.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think you've come to the right conclusion. If Asia doesn't mind carriers, she'd probably like a stroller. I suspect you'll have fun as well.

I plan on getting one for my girls this summer. I think they'll like it, and I will like going for walks too. People will likely think I'm nuts...but that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree! As long as my girl is happy :smile:
Actually, only the cool kids think you're nuts. Everyone else just smiles or says "awwwwww".

I live on a busy bike/walking trail: most people don't even pay any attention, or at least are polite enough to make fun of us when we can't hear them.:wink

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Definitely get a pet stroller. My cars are strictly indoor. I've had a pet stroller for the past two years and my 2 Devons love it! Often they will sit in the stroller to indicate they want to go for a walk, or if I say "who wants walkies?" It's funny tho when I start to return home from a walk, they seem to know and have a sense of direction where it is. They enjoy the outing, but are happy to be home again. We live adjacent to a park with a dirt path that goes through woods and then opens onto a half-mile dirt circle road, with lawn and baseball pitches, children's playground. Cats especially like going through the woods and really enjoy seeing all the sights and smelling the different scents in the air. Some passerbys don't notice the cats and some think you have a baby. I find that most dogs don't seem to notice the cats in passing.

The one thing I would suggest is do consider buying one with large wheels, as they handle an uneven or bumpy sidewalk, road, path or lawn much better and are easier to push over it. Mine is a "Pet Gear" and the wheels are only 5in. in diameter. I'm thinking of moving up to one with bigger wheels and reselling the one I have.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It may be nuts to pamper a cat like that, but oh well.
I didn't even know there were pet strollers until this summer. I was at the vet, and some lady came in with a stroller...I noticed the cat in it. I thought that was SO COOL!! I started asking her all sorts of questions about it, like you are.
Right now I haven't got the money (trying to dig myself out of debt), but as soon as I have a spare $100 or so, I think I'll get one for Nebbie. I just gotta decide what to do with Paizly...I don't want her to sit at home alone and bored!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Definitely get a pet stroller.
The one thing I would suggest is do consider buying one with large wheels, as they handle an uneven or bumpy sidewalk, road, path or lawn much better and are easier to push over it. Mine is a "Pet Gear" and the wheels are only 5in. in diameter. I'm thinking of moving up to one with bigger wheels and reselling the one I have.
The outside of the wheel is 7-7.5 inches on mine (the link above.) I haven't seen one with larger wheels...but I have wondered why I couldn't just put larger ones on it should mine break or something. Although, I have no trouble on dirt paths/roads with mine. I think the fact that they are four wheeled is more the problem. Mine has shocks on the front wheels. But they do bounce around a bit. Doesn't seem to bother kitty. The stroller is so light - easy to manhandle (or woman-handle in my case).

.....and they are definitely conversation starters!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts