Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any idea how to prevent this? she uses an uncovered litter box and tends to bring out a bit of litter each time she jumps out of the box...

i'm considering a covered litter box, but that's really my last choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No idea how or if that can be prevented. I believe it's due to little stuck inbetween their toes flinging out when they jump out. I know there are little litter mats that you can get that collect the litter after a cat is done, but the trick is that they actually have to land on them and the ones I got, my cats just leaped right over because they didn't like the texture on their feet. Your mileage may vary though on those.

I don't know if the newer litters track (i.e. the crystals, recycled newspaper, etc) so that may be something to consider or try if you feel brave futzing with their precious little boxes lol.

Good luck!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Not much you can do....definitely get a cover for the box...contains the smell and litter being scattered alot better. Also, I bought a few of those "kitty rubber mats" they sell to put outside the litter box. When they come out, most of the litter get trapped on the mats.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You could always get a covered box to try while also leaving out the other box in case she decides that it is not suitable for her kitty needs. :) I use Yesterday's News (recycled newspaper litter) which does not track very much at all and is easy to clean up. However, unless your cat is a real "coverer" it is not so great for reducing poop odor. I scoop so many times a day that to me the lack of tracking is definitely worth it!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
some cats won't use covered boxes.

My cats hated the feel of those rubber litter mats so much that they would jump out of the box, OVER the litter mats, and scatter even more litter across the floor.

I bought a cheap "welcome mat" style carpet and they don't mind walking on that... and it catches a lot of the litter.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Indoor/outdoor carpet (the bristly kind) works pretty well, too. You have to have a large enough piece so the cat has no choice but to walk on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem and I tried the mats and the covered pan (which is what my cat has now). The covered pan helps a little, but what I found to work the best is the litter made out of recycled newspaper. Its bigger clumps, so you have to be prepared to change the litter a lot, but its better than constantly sweeping or vacuuming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts