Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read the Ratha series of "The Named"?

I have just ordered four books:

Ratha's Creature
Clan Ground
Thistle Chaser
Ratha's Challenge
...I saw Ratha's Courage listed somewhere because I wrote it down, but I could not locate it at the booksite...

I see Warriors has a new series starting, but they are in hardback. I'll have to wait for paperback.
h

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I'll have to check those out...

Another Warriors series? Awesome!!! I am still on the first book of the New Prophency. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also saw (at Erin Hunter's Warrior's homepage) that there are 2 or 3 new Manga books, like the one I sent you. ALSO at that site, was a book about a quest that Firestar goes on...looks completely new and seperate from the other series' of books.
The new series appears to be about Firestar's grandchildren from Bramblepaw and ...oh, I can't remember the girl-kitty's name, but it was a pretty one. Squirrelflight? I'll have to wait for them to come out in p'back.

I just recalled, with all this typing about homepages, that is where I saw the title of the 5th Ratha book. I think they were marketing it from that site as an eBook. I don't know what an eBook is.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've never heard of any of these books. Are they newly published or have they been out for awhile?

I've been looking for another good series to read but have yet to find another that is as good as the last series I read.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of these series are considered Young Adult books. Like around Jr High age. The Warrior books are well written, I find them a little disturbing because the violence in these kitties' clan world closely resembles the violence in our own society. There are some deaths I found disturbing because in nature I just don't see it happening, but I do think the books are very good at depicting how society as a whole, is today.
Rather brutal, but kind, generous and loving, too.
The Warriors are fairly new on the book scene and growing in popularity. It will never reach Harry Potter status, but the kids at the library enjoy the books and keep them steadily checked out.

The Ratha series, I understand began in the early 80's and has been re-printed/released to revive with her newest publications of the series. Author is Clare Bell.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Just for info an eBook is an electronic version of a book. You'll get a file to download, and it's usually a PDF file.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Huge said:
Just for info an eBook is an electronic version of a book. You'll get a file to download, and it's usually a PDF file.
Be careful when doing this that you select a format that you can actually use. Some ebooks are reader-specific and if you don't have that reader, you can't read it.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for letting me know what an eBook is, I doubt I'll try it.

I like to surf at the computer, but to really READ... I need to be in the recliner or lounging in bed. I wouldn't enjoy having to sit in my office chair and stare at the computer monitor to read a book. I like to carry my books to wherever I wish to read.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the Ratha books last night, in addition to The Other Boleyn Girl and selected free, 3-day shipping, so I could have the books as early as the middle of next week.
I'll let everyone know how I find the Ratha books...however from reading the excerpts on the website, they appear to be very well written.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Catswold Portal and Joe Grey Mysteries.

I am not a mystery fan, but those books are ones that I hold dear to my heart. I highly recommend them, or at LEAST the Catswold Portal which isn't really a 'mystery' book.

I liked the Warriors series, but only the original one to be truthful. The cover artist got lazier and lazier (or maybe it's just what the publishers wanted.. I don't know... but they got simpler and plainer) and after Erin Hunter started telling the story of Firehearts kits it just lost something for me. I think she expanded too far or something, but there was a certain quality in the books that was lacking.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie (cat) Brown write the Mrs. Murphy murder/mystery series. The Mrs. Murphy character is a brown tabby cat.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rita and Sneaky Pie?
Yeah, I like them. Sort of a light, fluffy, murder/mystery type novel. They have about 8 or so smallish paperback books out. Mrs. Murphy and her cat friend Pewter and dog friend Tucker help their owner (a postmistress) solve murders in their little town. The main animal characters have other animal characters they 'talk' to, like an owl, fox, possum, dogs, horses and a tomcat who is Mrs. Murphy's estranged 'husband'.
I find them well written, but not very 'deep'. Just light, entertaining reading.

I think I like that RMB bills her cat Sneaky Pie as co-author, and that is the main appeal to me. Also, that the human character is involved in the horse-world. (hunting/jumping)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts