Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Oh wow. That was quite a leap to get over to that window ... well, maybe not a long leap, but a long way up. That would freak me out a little bit if I was coming in to the house and saw the cat in the window knowing there's nothing below the window but 15 feet of air.

I have no idea how to stop that. I wouldn't put any normal "stay off the counter" remedies on the window ledge though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How did he leap that far? That's crazy. I can't think of how to prevent him to go there. Maybe you can make it easier for him to go up and down so it's safer for him and make the window ledge larger so he can sit more comfortably and safer. Catify it. See if other members have other ideas.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Move over flying Wallendas! That's a pretty dexterous cat - I'll bet he jumps from the 2nd story ledge right onto the window sill. I vote for cat shelves as well - you can put up nice ones that will blend with the wall :) A shelf right on the window ledge as a lounging spot, and one or two platforms from the ledge to the window sill to make the leap a little less of a circus act.

Must be a nice view from there :)

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
OMG, I would have a heart attack!! Yes, either block off the access with something, or make a ramp and W-I-D-E ledge where the window is.

The more I think about it, I would not block it off, just put a ramp from the second story landing and a wider ledge. These can be done well and painted to match the wall and would make a great conversation piece for visitors! You can put up a sign "Watch Cat On Duty".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like the majority is for adding extra ledges and or ramps! I will come up with a design and get to work. I'll post pics once something is in place! And I definitely need a "watch cat on duty" sign!!

Here he is tonight:

Sigh.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry. Don't cats always land on their feet if they fall?

I agree with the cat shelves.
Even if they do - and not all do, that is 15 feet up and a very, very hard tile floor beneath!! You're talking, at the very least, a broken bone or two!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My Abby fell off the kitchen counter and hurt herself. She limped for weeks but the vet could find nothing wrong.

Zipper tumbled down the stairs and broke her breast bone. Two weeks + of morphine and bed rest for her. Cats fall all the time and can get seriously injured. On a ledge that high he can become startled from a deep sleep, spooked by a noise - any number of things can happen and it could very well be deadly.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Even if they do - and not all do, that is 15 feet up and a very, very hard tile floor beneath!! You're talking, at the very least, a broken bone or two!
Omg! It didn't look that high to me, well not high enough for a cat to get hurt. I thought they were built to jump/fall from high places XD I had no idea cats were THAT fragile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts