Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been feeding my two cats raw food for six years now and have been very happy to see how they love their food and how they still appear to be kitties. :)

I feed 70% of commercial mix and 30% of home-made meaty bone chunks. I source all the food from the local pet food vendor (feedthis). The kinds of meat are: Turkey, Guinea Hen, and Duck ground all bone-in, complete meal without veg. I feed quails as bone-in chunks.

One of my cats started throwing up ground meat of four-legged ones. Four years ago, she started throwing up lamb. So I stopped it. Last year, she started throw up rabbit. I was forced to stop it because no matter the amount (e.g. 1 tbsp), she would throw it up 30 min after eating it.
She recently started throwing up duck.

I am afraid that my meat choice is getting narrower and narrower.

When a cat throw up a particular meat mix what would you recommend to try out, other than just stop feeding them?

In addition, do you have any tips on adding variety?

Anyone ever hand-chopped rabbits for kitties? :) I am at an inch verge into trying to chop some rabbits, see if she would throw that up as well...

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Most of mine can eat pretty much anything but Lottie has problems - she's better with "real" food than manufactured but she has a mixture. I do find that she is better with meat I have bought and prepared myself rather than that produced by a company whether "packaged" or "raw".

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Jitzu has a bunch of allergies and it's getting worse as she gets older. You could try lowering the amount of organ meats, as those tend to be harder to digest/keep down for some cats.

That being said, if you reduce the organ portion you need to make sure she's getting that nutrition other ways. For Jitzu this means she's getting canned food twice a week to balance her out.

You'll likely find that darker meat is harder for her to digest. Jitzu has trouble with game meats, beef, and lamb atm. So far pork, chicken, turkey, duck, and some occasional fish are ok.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My 17-year-old has been on a raw diet for three years (with the exception of the last few weeks - she's been starting to refuse it and I don't know why) but during those three years, she would suddenly refuse/vomit meat types that she loved just the week prior. I don't know if cats develop "rotating temporary allergies" (which is what it seemed like) or if it was something else.

If you can get a hold of non-fowl commercial meats (beef, mutton, llama, etc.), give those a try.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input! It looks like my cat is not the only one that does that. Yes. She seems to have harder time to keep down dark meat.

I have two cats. One cat is male and bigger (13 lbs) and love his food very much. The other one that throws up certain meat kind is female and smaller (9lbs). She loves her food but it's because she needs to compete with the bigger cat. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.