Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cat, Pfeffa, and my new cat, Hobochangba, have been co-habitating for about a week and a half (not very long, I know) and things had been progressing from hissing and growling (from Pfeffa) >> to being in the same room >> sitting just a few feet from each other >> playing near each other >> sniffing noses >> less hissing and growling >> some chasing (that ends in hissing) >> attempts at swatting (no contact that I've seen) combined with hissing and growling.

The amount of Pfeffa's hissing and growling has leveled off - it's no longer constant - but she's still doing it fairly often. :?

I tried vanilla extract once last weekend, and am not certain if it really helped. Should I try that again?

Again, I know it hasn't been long, but at this point, I'm at a loss as to what to do to encourage more positive interactions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I never knew anything about proper introductions until I started posting on this site. That was long after I had my three cats. I understand now more about it now.

When I had my first cat I moved in with my roommate....years ago. She had a cat of almost the same age. We just let them meet. They went through the hissing, growling and we were freaked out. About a week later we came home from work to find them snuggled next to each other.

I moved out and it was just me and my cat. I introduced an adult cat. My cat went tearing after him. A day or two later they started hanging out, no problem.

When I had the two adult cats I got a kitten. They kind of just ignored him. The kitten would chase him around and they just kept ignoring him. Now they all live in harmony.

I think eventually they just work it out. I'm sure there are people that would disagree, but in my case it has always happened.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
fbodgirl- that is exactly what has always been my experience! I always just bring the new cat in, set them down, and stand back 8O My cats have always become friends fairly quickly............but I think you and I might just be lucky :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are all SO lucky! This is been quite a stressful experience for everyone involved...well, perhaps not Hobochangba, who seems just tickled pink to be here and to have another kitty around.

I'm highly jealous of your quick and easy introductions. I want cat harmony!

Any other thoughts? (from people who haven't been as lucky? :wink: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts