Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo~ i cant always afford toys, when i can i buy em of course, but because of that ive taken to making some. This is my most recent one made. Ive made alot of toys over time but i always seem to have the same problem. Mystery gets overly excited with his toys and always breaks them fast. Even the store bought ones. He rips em apart or snaps the string they are on. Anybody else have these issues? Anybody know any sturdy toys that theyve made b4 that can last against 3 cats? Or even ones that can be bought that are strong. I spent $10 on a toy mouse attached to a rope that was looped through plastic. The mouse squeaked and lit up when batted and had feathers on it. Now the feathers are all ripped up. The mouse has a hole in it. And it has been ripped off the plastic, and Mystery has gotten to where the ropes about to snap in half. And i bought it not too long ago... idk if its just my cats but they are soo rough with their toys. And until i get a job i cant afford a $10 toy every week.

I give this toy i made... 3 days tops... before they destroy it. But i had to make them something to hold em off. Even used my pretty hair feathers from my clip because im out of normal ones and they are more sturdy. Even though i really liked them feathers xD spoiled lil buggers lolz

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Those are very cute, but I wouldn't let my girls have them - because of the beads, the yarn and the feather! With my luck, each of my girls would swallow one of them!

Very cute, though. I am SO not that crafty.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lolz yea, i tried to get the beads off but they are super glued on too tight! My cats play with yarn all the time, so long as im watching them im okay with it. And they only play with toys with feathers if im playing with em so i can watch em close xD Ashes and Shadow i dont worry bout. They dont eat feathers, just catch em and let go. Mystery however tries to eat anything he can get his paws on -.- so i have to watch him close

·
Registered
111 Posts
i actually use store receipts crumpled into a ball and all heck breaks loose !!!

i tried this

i have a sisal twine ball that i put into a cup of hot water along with catnip leaves and let it soak then air dried, what a toy now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i got ours at a supermarket in the pet section years ago

it's just a ball made out of the twine that is used in scratching posts

then i made a "tea" from a bag of catnip, placed the ball in it, let it soak for a day or so then placed the ball on a old plate to air dry and the games began

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The best thing about cats is they LOVE cheap toys!! The cheaper, the better! lol

When I smoked, I use to take the cellophane wrapper off the pack, fold it over and over again to make a rectangular fold, then I would twist it in the middle and shape the wide ends of the "bowtie" to give it some shape.
B.B. would sit there so patiently, on edge through each step of the process. He eyes would watch everything. I would take the bowtie between the thumb and forefinger and FLICK it in the air, high and far.
The cellophane would crinkle as it would try to unwind, it was light, so a bat from a paw would make it fly, and it caught the light and sparkled. It had ALL the key elements, and I made THOUSANDS of them!!
Beebz would sit for each and every one and chase the heck out of it, till it was gobbled up by the refrigerator or the dishwasher or whatever dark small space it would slide under. LOL

The "kittens" love pipe cleaners! Take and wrap them around the barrel of a pen, slide it off and now they are a spring!! and so much fun to catch and bat and whatever. lol

Things like milk caps or lids off soda bottles, etc. are fantastic toys too!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thank you! :D ive never thought of that before. I will try some of these ideas out ^_^ thank you all very much

·
Registered
156 Posts
When we kept our future daughter-in-law's two cats for a four months their favorite toys were ice cubes, milk rings, tin foil balls, and the laser light. Chloe had a toy stash under the couch. She used to take her tin foil balls, milk rings, and ice cubes there.

Both our boy cats like feathers attached to plastic poles. Inky likes the laser light. Patches likes going into paper bags. He likes chewing on packing tape. He bites it but doesn't eat it.

When we first got Patches he would carry a ball to the top of the stairs, push it down, run after it and carry it back up the stairs. And do it again.

·
Registered
828 Posts
A couple weeks ago one of my boys had a birthday. All four of them love a different style of toy that they like to play with by themselves. The birthday boys favorite however, are getting more and more difficult to find for some reason. I went to 7 pet stores and finally found the little things in a mixed bundle of toys within one bag. I had to buy two bags and removed what I wanted then gave the rest to the shelter donation box on the way out.

sheesh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts