Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just saw a show of training cats, and I'm really inspired to make my cats trained just to come and sit. Simple stuff for now but the show was so amazing. Cats jumping through tennis loops, coming when called, going in the carrier when told to. Movie star cats were doing repeated tricks just like a trained dog!

I am going to train my cats when I have time with wet food since they go crazy over that than treats. Right now when I call out "FOOD" they come into the kitchen pacing around....so hope I can get them trained for some other simple stuff besides food time!

Just wondering if anyone has trained kitties or cats that do tricks? :lol:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Since my cats are on a strict diet, they will do anything for food :lol: . In order to get them some excercise, my partner has training them to "beg" for their food. They must stand on their hind legs and look cute before they get it. I stopped getting them to do it before they get their wet food in the morning, but now they still do it anyway!
They will also stand on their hind legs for dry kibble too. Kind of like sit ups for cats :wink: .

·
Registered
328 Posts
I attempted to clicker train Jet a while ago. He got the idea - eventually - and learned how to sit up and beg, and 'target' (that is, follow a target stick and then touch it with his paw or nose for a click and a treat). But he wouldn't do anything for just ordinary dry food. Only ham was good enough for him! I made sure I didn't give him too much, though. This wasn't too much of a problem anyway as he got bored quite quickly, so I kept training sessions short.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
queen of the nile said:
They will also stand on their hind legs for dry kibble too. Kind of like sit ups for cats :wink: .
Hehe how funny! Sometimes when Sugar is on her back, I put the laserlight on her belly and she does sit ups :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
When he was younger, I did some work on clicker-training my cat, Nicky.. I didn't follow up on it, so he doesn't remember most of it, but he will still high-five you for certain treats if you snap your fingers and hold up your hand, lol.

It's actually not all that difficult, if you've got a food-motivated cat.. which most cats pretty much are. ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I like training cats, because it's much more challenging then doing it with a dog for the most part.

Some of the commands I have taught my 3 current cats are...

Down (Get off of something)
Sit
Up (Beg)
Jump
Come
Stand
Shake (Shake paw)

I'd love to work with them more, but I don't have much time, so now and then we do something new :)

Fillerbunny: I'm glad to see another JTHM fan! We like filler bunny

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it all depends on the cat's personality and willingness to be trained. I know my cat would be a very bad candidate. She has NO interest in treats and hates being told what to do. Allthough my cat Patches (lives at my fathers farm) was taught how to sit. This was as far as I went with her...I suppose my teenage years were a big distraction from cat training! :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Neither of my cats would be very receptive to training, either. They'd just give me the infamous "Are you kidding?" expression, and go along their way.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My cat Twinkie is a bit on the slower side but he sometimes is better at coming when called than Sugar who just stares at you. Not b/c she didn't hear you but she's like "what, i'm not going over for those dried shrimp treats, maybe later" :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
My cats aren't trained to do much, but I once met a young girl who taught her cat how to jump! Like, over jumps. She said first she leash trained her, then just started setting up small jumps for her to jump over. I'll have to ask her if I can post some of her pictures on here. Or, better yet, see if she's interested in joining this forum! Hehe :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts