Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first time cat owner (since December 10th--took in a very friendly stray that was found in my friend's backyard), and so far, everything has been delightful.

However, I'm leaving NYC to go home to Maryland for the holidays tomorrow, and won't be back until Jan 5th. Being new to all this, I just assumed that Amtrak had pet accommodations...imagine my surprise when I found out that hadn't been offered since 1976! And I can't find any bus service that allows pets.

So: Any suggestions on how I can get him home, besides driving (my car is in MD) or flying? If I leave him up here, he'll be alone for a week, and without me for a whole 16 days. I worry that after only having him for 10 days thus far, our bond will be weakened. :(

·
Registered
728 Posts
Your bond will be okay. In my opinion you'll do more damage than good by taking him with you. The stress of being on a train\plane\whatever, the stress of being thrown into a new environment for two weeks, and then the stress of being transported again and thrown back into his old environment.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
If I leave him up here, he'll be alone for a week, and without me for a whole 16 days. (
Just to clarify this statement --- he will be alone without a human for a week? And without you for 16 days?

A week is too long to leave a cat alone. So I'm hoping I misread that, there will be a petsitter or roommate who can at least to litter box and food and water, if not a little play and petting time.

There are pet shipping services, but not cheap:
New York Pet shipping, moving and transportation

Otherwise I'd look into a pet sitter service. I know NYC has a lot of them, but this is kind of last minute to try to work out the details by tomorrow.

Can your family drive up to get you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts