Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know...I have to feed my Oreo Low-PH food...(Eukanuba)..When I mix her wet food with Cephalexin (treating pyenlophritis-I misspelled that) I use low ph wet food. However, her PH levels remain somewhat higher than average.

I give her treats (when she deserves them)..think that has anything to do with the ph levels? The treats don't seem to be abnormally high with PH levels...

Does anyone else use Eukanuba? It's supposedly a very good brand...?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My vet recommended Eukanuba senior formula for Sabby because it has a higher protein content than most other brands. He liked it and Sabby's poo didn't smell too bad, but we couldn't get his blood glucose regulated while he was on it.

So, my vet thinks it's a good food, it just didn't do what we needed it to do.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I thought it's not very good brand. But I might be mistaken. Isn't it part of Iams company? That's what I thought.... Sorry if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you are only giving ocassional treats I would'nt think that would have a large effect on her urine ph. Do you test her urine ph yourself? Maybe she is being tested too soon after meals. Urine ph can vary dependending on the time between her last meal and the time her urine is tested.....it will be higher if she finished a meal prior to being tested.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How often are they monitoring her pH levels? Close monitoring is one of the key attributes to making these diets work.

For now cut out everything except for the perscription foods and medications. No treats, people food, etc.

There might also be other brands that offer the same foods, a couple other names are Waltham, and Hills, speak with your doctor about where they want to go from here, they know your cat and have her records so they would know best right now.

Oh I also wanted to say, that the non perscription eukanuba food is not a bad food, much better then grocery store brands, including iams (yes they are the same company). However, I strongly disagree with the companies chemical animal testings, and thusly never recommend these foods if there is any other alternative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Um, well it's very traumatic for oreo to go to the vet.....Again, I think it has something to do with the Ketamine she was given when she was operated on...Every time she goes to the vet she has higher than average PH levels...but from an article that was posted here, low PH food (when given over a good amount of time) can do other damage as well..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts