Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good cat treats? I haven't offered the kittens anything except their canned food and kibble, but now that Peanut isn't going to need her KMR as much and soon not at all, I know my youngest would love a different "treat" to feed her? Any suggestions? Just something he could give her a couple pieces of or whatever? Can be human food, although I think I'd prefer a "cat" treat so they don't get used to eating our food.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have a dehydrator and have started making duck breast jerky for my guys. I have strips and then little chunks that I dehydrated. They LOVE them and I know there's nothing in them that they can't have. If I buy a roasting chicken I give them the raw organs that are included with the bird.... that's about it.

edited to add: Except the raw quail that they get once a week for their teeth.

·
Banned
74 Posts
My cat loves Whiskas Temptations, but if I give her more than about 8-10 of them in one sitting, she usually barfs them up. Careful with them, if you go that way. I've also read about some people's cats becoming practically addicted to them. I used to give them to her almost every day, then I cut it down to once a week, but the past several months I only give them to her maybe a couple times a month.

I've tried substituting other treats, but every time I did, I'd toss one to her, then she'd run over to get it, only to have this profound look of disappointment on her face that they weren't the treats she was expecting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I prefer to give moist treats. I cook chicken and cut it up in small cubes and give that as treats. Organic and no chemicals. It is also easier for my two toothless cats to eat as well. One treat my cats love, and I do not give often, is the Biljack Dog liver treats. They are liver flavored propylene glycol treats. The cats used to steal them from under the dog's nose when the dog was alive and they will do just about anything for them. But I don't like propylene glycol (which is Green antifreeze). Somtimes I will buy some beef liver and cook it till it is dry and a little tough and cut it in cubes. I have to watch because they will try and crawl up my pants legs for the liver. Chicken or turkey liver is too friable and does not hold its' shape like beek liver does.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My cat loves Whiskas Temptations, but if I give her more than about 8-10 of them in one sitting, she usually barfs them up. Careful with them, if you go that way.
8-10 treats seems like too many in any situation! 8|

I give mine Temptations for training her tricks. It worked really well until my partner started using them to coax her offhis chair (he's too soft and doesn't like "making her squeak" :roll: ) Now she just sits on chairs and cries like she's gonna get them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I give mine Temptations for training her tricks. It worked really well until my partner started using them to coax her offhis chair (he's too soft and doesn't like "making her squeak" :roll: ) Now she just sits on chairs and cries like she's gonna get them.
LOL, that is too cute!! What a smart kitty!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Both of mine luvs Purebites feeze dried chicken bites. They come in 4 flavors but mine just luv the chicken.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
So while we don't feed the Whiskas, Friskies, etc, the treats are okay??
Not really.

EVO, Natural Balance, Halo, Pure Bites, Whole Life, Snack 21, Wild Side, Catswell, Wellness, Real Meat, Ziwi Peak and Zukes are all good treats. There's more, but that's a good start...

·
Banned
603 Posts
I gave Mia A treat 3 days in a row a couple of weeks ago (catty Shack from walmart). Now she is still going to the cupboard they were in and meowing constantly. That was the first time she had ever had treats. No more!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nugget loves the Purebites chicken too. He actually pulled the bag out and ripped it open this week, so now he's out of treats until I get to the pet store. (I'm taking my sweet time, too, since he was naughty!)

We've also tried the Catswell jerky, but he didn't like the texture, and he has some EVO treats that are OK. Grain free treats seem to be harder to find than grain free food.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Stella & Chewy's also makes freeze dried raw treats...Carnivore Crunch. Very expensive, but Kobi & Holly love them. I actually brought them home for Jake but they wanted to try them. I like having treats that they can all share.

BTW...Pure Bites come in little tiny packages for cat, but you can buy the dog version and just break up the pieces smaller. Same stuff, much less expensive. Same for Whole Life.

·
Registered
979 Posts
So while we don't feed the Whiskas, Friskies, etc, the treats are okay??
I feel like treats are just that, a "treat." Io's not even half-way through the bag of Temptations she came home with 3 months ago. She probably eats more carpet lint then cheap-o treats.

That being said, I'll probably buy one of the more expensive ones next time. Since it's a sometimes thing, she might as well get something more fancy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I figure since it is a treat and she only gets 2-3 a day that the "bad" treats are ok like Friskies and Temptations. But I would never give her more then that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would recommend Perfect Bites by natural balance. My cats love them, and after they turned down all the other brands we tried, I was happy they liked this one because the treats are only one calorie each! They have a few flavors but we but the chicken or rabbit, and they’re very healthy and not full of strange ingredients. I usually buy mine at Petco.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. Just realized we were running low on the kibble, so will run to the pet store when my oldest is at the library and see if I can find some treats too. She carries lots of good brands and I don't think even carries the cheaper ones, which is great.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sienna is addicted to Pounce, but I rarely give it to her. I use it as a reward for getting combed (she hates grooming and as a Persian it's IMPORTANT ... and a pain for me since she's so snarky about it). I discovered yesterday that while she hesitated when taking a tiny sliver of raw steak, eventually eating it, she had no hesitation whatsoever when offered CHEESE. She was as excited about that as she was about trying to get her fair share of the dog's dry biscuit treat (Natural Balance Sweet Potato and ... Venison or Bison can't remember). You wouldn't think that would be so exciting for a cat, but I guess it reminds her of the good ole days when she had dry cat food.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.