Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the purchase of my flat is set to be complete this coming Friday. Thank goodness for that. I want to get it painted and all moved in before collecting Mr Ridley from my mothers. He has had quite enough disruption in his life already this last year so want to make this move for him as stress free as possible.

Now, bearing in mind Ridley is the size of a tank and weighs in at 16lbs - he broke Tobys cat tree (as in snapped one of the sitting baskets clean off) before I moved and put everything in storage.

(I have been staying with friends and have been of ´no fixed abode´ for the last 6 months - hence why Ridley had to move in with my mother for a bit)

So - for those of you that also have cats the size of tanks - what sort of cat tree should I get? Toby had severe dust mite allergies so I had to get a banana leaf one for him but don't think Ridley has that problem.

Just want something that has big platforms and isn't likely to topple over! Doesn't have to be high - chances are he will just sit on it to look out for swans and geese on the canal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Swans and Geese inthe canal? You lucky mely! Sounds like a nice place to live. I have had the same problem. Most all commercial cat trees are to small for a large cat. Seeing as you are in england I dont have much to offer that would be worth the shipping. I have been looking at the custom builders here for years, dreaming of my perfect cat condo/tree. Good luck and congrats on the new flat.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Yes, congratulations Allie!! Great news, you must post photos of your new place!

And sorry, no ideas on cat trees but I love poking around on the internets so if I see something I will chime in...

:) Fran

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
How exciting that you both will finally have a place to call home. If you are looking for something that isn't too high have you thought about just using a low bookcase or shelving unit? You would be able to put whatever you would like on top to make it cozy for Ridley.

·
Registered
110 Posts
They're actually not hard to make if you're the handy type. My father runs a large commercial carpet company, so we're just going to grab a few scraps from him and hit a Home Depot for the rest. I feel like Ezri might be a tad heavy for the commercial trees as well, so when we make the platforms on ours were going to get some funky looking bookshelf brackets from Ikea for extra support.

Just a thought. Hub thinks it'll only cost about $35 total in materials and we'll be able to make it exactly how we want.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Murphy is also a tank. :) It's the big orange boy thing, isn't it??

I've found that when a platform has two posts underneath it, it's a go. If it has one, it's too wobbly and he won't use it. So for instance, this one would be good because all of the levels are supported on two sides:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Midnight, the wild cat, isn't heavy because he is always on the move. However, he does climb this tree from time to time to harass the squirrels that live in it. I left this "oak wilt" victim up to give the squirrels a place to run to when predators caught them out in the open. It is also a "training tree" for the young squirrels. Since Midnight has regular access to food now, he is not so much interested in the wildlife anymore. :grin:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Congratulations Allie! So good to hear you will soon be in your own place. I hope it is all you have wanted. It is so great to have a place you can really call your own. Hopefully you won't have to deal with "renters stress" ever again. Hope you and Ridley will be very happy there!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
For some reason they just don't make jumbo kitty furniture. Fay is 13 lbs and Buddha was 15 the last time he was weighed. It's easy to find sturdy if expensive cat trees but I haven't found any strurdy ones with perches that are near large enough and I have searched. You must build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts