Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I only have two beds for Addison. One is a cushy square mat type with padded walls about twi inches up that he spends a lot of time snuggling in the sun, and the other is a kitty cube (?) like a fully enclosed padded box with two holes for him to go in and out of. He seems to enjoy spending a lot of time sleeping in them.

I've always wanted to buy one of those really tall (like floor to ceiling) cat trees for him to climb around on but they're SO expensive! I've thought of building one, but I'm not very DIY oriented and tend to quit shortly after beginning projects.

The cat walk caught my eye because it doesn't seem at all hard to basically build a shelf with carpet on it. I may try that one soon.

Has anyone made their own cat tree or other climbing type furniture? If so, about how much did you end up spending and how long did it take?

Right now, he doesn't have anything to climb, so I'm not sure if he'd even like it, so I don't want to waste a lot of money for nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My husband made a cat box/tree for our guys. I'm sorry I asked him to do it. Don't get me wrong...he did a great job. But this thing he created is so big I can't wait to get rid of it!

Granted, the cats like it but I'd rather have something like what you can buy at Petsmart. The one he made has a huge box at the bottom that they can sleep in and then it goes up from there to the ceiling with a perch half way up.

Don't know what it cost him either but I doubt it was worth all the time and hard work!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wonder if you can take apart those things from Walmart and put them in a suitcase? :D

Both my brother-in-law and his wife works at Walmart, so we'd probably could get a good discount if we could ever be able to transport such a thing to Sweden. Imagine that customs!!!!! "could you open up your bag, mam?" :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great price on Ebay....now that's what I'd like to have! :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one on ebay is something like what I'm looking for. I like the idea of having a hammock so at least if he doesn't climb on it, he'll still sleep on it :) I'm still certain I can build one cheaper...

Speaking of which, I finally bought my first item on ebay for a penny! its a cd rom with a bunch of plans for cat trees, etc. Once I get it, if I can find a way to link to the plans from here (they're in pdf) I'd be glad to share them with you all!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
That would be so GREAT!! My fiance has been wanting to build a cat tree for awhile, but we haven't been able to find any plans :roll: Let me know how your CD works out :D :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
see the problem with ebay is that even though the trees go for pretty decent prices, the shipping charges add up.

I just tried to check out the shipping fee on a tree and it would cost over 50 bucks just to ship to me, meaning together, it would still be well over 100 dollars!

...*sigh* maybe I should just give in and buy one from a pet store.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I just started thinking about getting on. I saw this post and now I keep looking at different ones. I think I'm hooked. Now it's like I have to get them one :lol:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I love the one with the hammock! My cats have a hammock now, along with many other things, but I think they would really like it. Maybe I should start saving now :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I was the one who mentioned the cat trees at Walmart for $39.99, so I thought I should mention that they don't have them at all Walmarts...There are 3 stores near me and only one carries the cat tree...just in case people look for them there.

I also wanted to put in my ebay cat tree...it just arrived yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

I quickly put it together. Thomas thought it was okay, but he hasn't been up on the high perches very much.

I was suprised because Kitty spent about an hour today in the little house. She normally stays away from any toys I purchased.

I think my little lecture about how they need to get at least $150 worth of fun out of it is paying off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts