Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has two cats, an 8 year old male, and a 3 year old female.

These cats love each other. There are no territorial or dominance issues.

Nothing has changed in the household - no new animals, no change in routine.

She came home last night to find the mess on her bed. The urine had soaked through the comforter, bedspread and sheets. The poop was normal, not diarrhea. This has never happened before. The litter box had fresh litter in it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I heard from other people before that cats will do that if they are mad at the person. I'm not sure how true it is though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
badet said:
I heard from other people before that cats will do that if they are mad at the person. I'm not sure how true it is though.
I have heard this too, but my girlfriend treats these cats like babies. She gives them canned and dry food. She pets them, brushes them, and gives unconditional love. There is no reason for one of them to be mad at her.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Is it possible one is having an incontinence issue? ..or is trying to claim the bed for itself? She says they are doing fine, but I would suggest she watch them closely to observe any behavioral changes towards each other...

Lock them in a bathroom w/ a soft place to rest, food/water and pottybox. No other place to go. Let them out when they can be supervised and trusted again.

I had a kitty use my bed, but he was a recently rescued feral who was unused to a pottybox. He used my sink in the bathroom, and then my bed for a few days until I was able to show him the pottybox was okay to use.
Heidi

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
There are many reasons why a cat will eliminate outside the litterboxOnce might have been an accident, but you want to take steps to do all you can to prevent a recurrence.

First step: the spot on the bed and the bedding needs to be cleaned thoroughly, according to instructions, with an enzymatic cat urine cleaner. I recommend "Nature's Miracle" The spot needs to be literally soaked. And put something on the bed for now to block access to that spot. Something the cat will NOT associate with a littebox. Maybe a cat bed?

Second step: add a second litterbox, next to the first. Those are your first two steps.

I disagree with Heidi about locking in a bathroom. Do that if it's repeated, but not yet. Just assume the first time is an accident and take steps to prevent a second time.

If it's repeated, and especially if it's repeated within the next few days, the cat needs to be taken to the vet to rule out a urinary tract health issue. If that's ruled out, then you can proceed to work on the behavioral angle.

Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The incontinence problem I could agree with. UTI, etc. but the defecation? Yes, they could be testesd for a urininary tract infectection, but what about the poop?

A reminder, these cats are not kittens, and have not had prior problems.

I appreciate all of your responces, but they all all apply to urinairy problems, not the defecation problem.

I'm puzzled, because these are mature cats with no prior problems. As I mentioned, there have been no additiional stresses on these cats.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
A cat who associates pain with urinating in the litterbox may develop litterbox aversion, so even though the problem is a urinary problem, the cat may also avoid using the box to defecate.

Here's an article I found that explains it. Note the article also says:

Cats don't stop using their litter boxes because they're mad and are trying to get revenge for something that "offended" or "angered" them. Because humans act for these reasons, it's easy for us to assume that our pets do as well. Animals don't act out of spite or revenge, ...

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I would bring them to the vet. Since this has never happened before it's more likely there is a health problem going on and the sooner it's treated the better. It isn't necessarily a UTI but that is the most common cause of this behavior.
It's also really important to follow Tim's suggestion to clean the soiled area properly too.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I agree that a vet visit is in order. Well established cats don't suddenly start doing this without some sort of trigger. Since you indicate that nothing in their environment has changed then the first place to look is something medical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts