Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boyfriend moved house 3 months ago. In the 3 months, boyfriend has come home to find the cat urinated on the bed about 5 or 6 separate ocassions. Have pet products and steam cleaner to clean mattres etc. We thought maybe he was getting used to new house, feeling anxious or scared to be alone all day, as previous house had room mates. The new place is basement suite so cat has less windows to look out of during the day when home alone. He has supervised access outdoors when my boyfriend is home, which he loves. Everytime the door is opened he wants to go outside, sometimes he is allowed, sometimes he isn't. We bought a Feliway diffuser 2 weeks ago to try stop the urinating.

Today and yesterday I happened to be staying in the suite with the cat after my boyfriend went to work. Yesterday there were no issues. Today, when my boyfriend left for work the cat was meowing and looking out window and agitated. I think he wanted to go outside as he wasn't allowed out when boyfriend left. He went in to bedroom and I got a bad feeling and followed him, caught him in the act peeing on the bed.

This is the first time it happened since we got the Feliway diffuser so unfortuantely that hasn't helped. I'm convinced he did it out of frustration either that my boyfriend was gone, or that he couldn't go outside, I think the outside thing. Not getting him a cat flap to come and go as it's not safe here. How can we resolve this, other than using a mattress protector and washing the sheets constantly? 馃槱

He used to have bladder crystals so is now on a grain free diet, he does not have litter box issues and he never ever pees outside when he is outside. Boyfriend said he knows it is purely behavioural.

Thanks for your help!!

Registered
It's tough for a cat to move into a new house. I think it could be behavioral. Maybe you could take him to the vet? If you think it's serious.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Yes I think behavioural too, I've found that with vets, if it's not medical, they have less advice and resources to advise on behavioural urinating, other than recommending Feliway which we already have. I think he is frustrated when he can't go outside when we wants to, and that's why he does it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts