Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have a cat that pees in a hallway 10' and in plain sight of a clean litterbox. It only happens in this one spot in our 4 level home. We pulled up the carpet. scrubbed with bleach and replaced the carpet. Still happens!
We are open to suggestions. Hopefully someone can help.
Jeff
Ottawa Canada

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There are a lot of things that could make a cat urinate other than their litter box
- Urinary Tract Infection would be the most serious of all since it could threaten a kitty's life if not taken care of immediately. A trip to the vet should sort that out
- Litter consistency - sometimes cats stop liking or mabe they never had liked the touch, smell or consistency of the litter we are using. If the cat is declawed than that will make it even harder for that poor kitty. Change of litter brand might solve the problem in that case
- Multiple cat household - if you have more than one kitty than that could lead to territorial issues - even when our cats are spayed/neutered. It would be ideal to have more boxes in direct proportion with the number of cats
- Cleanliness of the litter box - it must scooped out daily; + the box cleaned out & desinfected at least once every 2 weeks with hot water, clorox and detergent

It would help if you gave us more details as in : how old is your cat, how many other cats/pets do you have - and having read the above you could draw some conclusions yourself. Tell us more so we can come up with a solution - best of luck :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, we are struggling with the same problem.
We have 1 cat and she will persist in weeing next to her litter box in hallway every few days. The litter box is cleaned daily without fail and she uses it the rest of the time.
She has been examined by the vet and given a clean bill of health. We have fitted a Feliway diffuser in the hall on advice from the vet but with little improvement. :?
We are at our wits end and the house smells like a slum. :(
We also have two dogs and Katy is a house cat on her own preference.
Any ideas or advice PLEASE - rehoming is NOT an option.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Have you cleaned the area she's peeing in with an enzyme cleaner? Even if the problem is fixed, if she smells urine on the carpet she will continue to pee there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My CAT USED TO DO THAT TOO AND HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS EITHER...HE WOULD PEE EVERYWHERE AROUND THE LITTERBOX BUT NOT INSIDE...I DECIDED TO GET A NEW LITTER BOX AND HE HASN'T HAD THAT PROBLEM SINCE.

·
Registered
428 Posts
wee wee pad

I have a 15 year old who doesn't go in the box because she feels trapped by the other cats. I put a dog's wee wee pad down (with holder) next to the box and she wee's on there. I tell her "good dog." HA! Anything is better than the floor!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts