Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat that was a stray and I was trying to get adopted out for awhile now. Two adoptions for him fell thru sadly. He is the silliest and cutest little thing (he's a small male ex-tom cat).
One of my earlier post describes the issues we had with him when we first brought him into our home (mostly behavioral)
He is an indoor outdoor cat (we have a doggy door) and a few days ago I didnt see him for 2 days and even tho he had not come back overnight before I just knew something was wrong. In the morning wen I came home from taking my son to school he was near the front door area. I picked him up and i immediately knew he was sick cuz he was a lot lighter and felt bony and his inner white eyelid thingys were going over his eyeballs and his eyes had mostly dry gunk that had drained from them also i could see on his upper chest or throat area his heart was beating fast I could see his pulse beat. I took him inside and he drank a lot of water. I noticed he walked like he was alittle drunk and once he almost fell over with his back legs swinging to the side. He was lethargic and lay around all day sometimes on his side unresponsive like a couple of times but definately awake. He looks puffy and fluffed up. He doesnt eat but drinks water and it seems like his mouth area is sensitive and his throat hurts when he swallows. At first i was syringing water into hid mouth to drink he tried jumping off the bed i stopped him and he peed on my leg and bed bright really yellow pee. Half the time he still uses the litterbox and other half he goes where evers closest or on clothes. O and his nose is dry and his breath smells really bad and his gums looked pale and his chin looked yellowish but I dont think hes vomiting. Last night we couldn find him after he apparently went out the doggy door again but hubby found him outside again laying on the gravel by truck. He did drink tuna water from a can of tuna I opened but didn't touch the meat Yesterday i gave him some omega fish oil by syringe and crushed cat multivitamin by syringe and he panted a little bit in between. Its been like this the past couple of days.
This morning he seemed a little bit stronger and a little more alert and walked to a few diff spots in the house. I also noticed a lil bit of color was in his gums more.He still hasnt eaten anything so i got some nutri-cal gel from petco and fed him by syringe it. I had to bundle him in a towel cus he did try fighting me a little bit but I could tell it was wearing him out he started breathing hard and becoming unresponsive to me I stopped to give him a break and when he calmed again I force fed him more but stopped wen he started getting uinresponsive again and stopped swallowing. I put him down and he just layed there on his sde and was completely unresponsive to me but i could tell he was alert by his eyes even tho they were mostly starring other then that the only other response I got was his eye lid fluttering but not blinking wen I put my finger to his eyes and his right paw seemed to twitchout toward me like he as trying to move it. I moved it outward for him to a more comfy position and he stopped trying moving it. I was so afraid I stressed him so bad he was dying now. I prayed over him and put worship music on and checked on him after a few times of him seeming unresponsive dead like I came in and saw he had jumped off my bed and was laying down more normally on the ground but with his head down. He started licking his mouth that was dripping th nutri cal from it that he didnt swallow and he peed (on ground) and drank some water a little bit later and is now laying down with his head down again. I have the humidifier going in my room rite now.
He seemed to get at least a smidgen more strengh after I gave him the fish oil and crushed kitty vitamins. I think he needs to eat but its difficult for him.
I only have a hundred bucks right now which wont even cover his office visit and the blood panel! No vet in town will set up a payment plan for us not even my vet that we usually see! I was denied for care credit cuz i have no credit! I'm really stressed out! Its breaking my heart to watch him. I am calling the vets tomorrow again. This totally sucks help!
O and on a side note before he got sick the past few months he would get GIANT ball lumps like on each side of his throat occasionally and i was always told it was becuz he was a fighter wen he goes outside. A lil while back he haf a abcess that did pop itself and drain and he healed up quickly. I was told all this from cat bites ad scratches from fights. He also ever since i found him he has had difficulty with his hind legs like they were really clumsy when he jumped he was far from graceful he would scrounge and claw his back lets up and sometimes hop on/to things short distances. He also always seemed kind of slow or simple but just a tad.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sounds like your cat needs to see a Vet...pronto! I am not sure where you are, but you can research to see if you have a nearby Humane Society or SPCA. They are usually really good at providing very reasonably priced emergency care for pets. This link has a search feature if you live within the US.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Only a vet will be able to tell you what is wrong with your cat. Has he had any shots? He is very sick...he could have rabies even....be careful he doesn't bite you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know hes really sick :( I have called vet after vet and just got off the phone a second time around to call them. Of course thier answer on payments plans have not changed but one vet was going to give me something called blood and energy for anemia (i told her i think he def has anemia) but it was for dogs all the other vets said to bring him in first. I told them i cannot get care credit im a 'ghost' no one gives a crap! They wont sell me anything even over the counter! I just paid for college this paycheck that i started last week and i am completely broke i returned 2 of my text books that were highway robbery but that still hasnt posted to my bank account yet. I told the vets i will have enough money (when the stupid refund actually goes thru) to pay for his visit and the blood panel testing but thats it canthey set me up on payments for his treatment? Thier answer, No. Im so angry esp with my vet i take my animals too all the time. I dont even want to continue using them anymore!
I cannot call anyone at the moment i am too busy bawling my eyeballs out they wouldnt understand what i am trying to tell them at the moment. We live in a tiny town so our spca that i know of is at least 3 1/2 hours away but i will search and call them anyway. We have a human society but i was afraid to call them theyd just tell me to put him to sleep which at this point seems like it would probably be a favor to him :( But i cant even afford that right now! I will search for vets on the link provided, thanks. Thanks for all the advice everyone. O and he has not had rabies vaccs hes only been nuetered so far and after he was neutered it took him 3 days to stop walking around like a drunk and he was really clumsy afterwards for awhile i think they gave him a lil too much when he went under.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Are there any no-kill shelters in your area? It's possible one of them can help you if they're not at capacity. You mentioned that you were trying to get him adopted out before (which, honestly, would be best for him if finances are so tight for you). I know at the shelter I volunteered at a few years ago, some of the volunteers/fosters were willing to take on and pay for hard-luck cases that needed medical treatment, and foster them during their recovery until they could be adopted out.

It's a longshot, but it's worth asking around. It really sounds like he needs medical care asap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt think of that i will go find out if anyone will take him in, thanks! He was supposed to be adopted out from the get go i never had any intentions of keeping him i just wanted to take him off the streets (which he seems to like!) and give him shelter, food, water and neuter him so he stopped making babies till i could find him a home which unfortunately they never came thru like they were supposed to :(
I did find a dropper supplement with iron for anemic cats i am going to go see if i can pick up.
I searched and we have no spca unfortunately. I am about to call the human society and will look up no kill shelters as well, i actually know of a lady who takes in all kinds of animals on death row my sisiter used to volunteer for her and she has an account with my vets office so i will see if she can take him in that would be great! She couldnt take in a dog i found before cuz i guess she mostly goes to human society (but he was not sick) but il give it a try! Thank u!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Good luck! Times are tough for a lot of people right now, but hopefully there's some generous person out there with the means to help him. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called humane society we dont have one near us, no kill shelters, animal control (told me they dont have vet theyd euthanize him), spca only referred me to all the places i already tried :( A kind old lady from a no kill shelter told me it sounds like he may have a bad upper respiratory infection which is highly contagious but prob easy to fix and referred me to another lady who said no. I am just goig to have to stop and just concentrate on him right now. Hes beenresting in my room withthe humidifier and heating pad and ive been slowly thruout the day squeezing nutrical into his mouth so that i dont stress him out too much like last night. He is still drinking on his own tho. Thank u everyone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not good news. He is gone :'( Frays showed his liver was so large it was going into his rib cage and also squishing his intestines and organs. Vet said looks like a tumor in his liver his pancrease was also inflamed but his liver was largest theyve seen. He also had rocks in his stomach she said he tried to eat them to make himself feel better :( She said his prognosis is not good she could hook him up to iv and create a huge bill for me but he's not going to make it I should ut him to sleep so we did. Me and my son were there he's 7 and we BAWLED our eyeballs out and stayed with him till he was gone. I'm so glad I was able to borrow the money to take him in that way I'm comforted a little that he isn't suffering a slow death anymore and also that we tried. R.I.P. Keahi We love you :'(

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that, but at least you were able to give him a home for a little while, and help him pass peacefully. Be proud of yourself for that and know that I'm sure it made his quality of life much better.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
This certainly has not been a good week for forum members kitties, has it? :'(

I'm so sorry, Hayden. My heart goes out to you and your son. I know my Smokey is excited to have a new friend to play with at the Bridge. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Am happy you were able to get him to the vet. It sounds as if his horrendous condition was not treatable. But at least you made his life more comfortable in his last days and he had a peaceful death. Be proud of yourself for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much everyone i just cant wait till next week so that i can stop crying every 5 minutes! Hopefully anyway. I really miss that little guy :( I am happy i found him even tho we didnt have enough time with him i just wish i found him sooner. I wish i knew how sick he was sooner i cant believe how fast everything went it doesnt really make much sense. I am really happy tho that the vet was really straight forward with me and told me she "wont be able to fix this" instead of just trying to make an extra buck off of a suffering animal. I just keep reminding my self and telling my son to remind himself that even tho we are sad, Keahi is not! Which is a good thing! Hes in heaven the best place anyone could ever want to be.
My4kitties, Im Sorry to hear about Smokey :(
Thanks again everyone i really appreciate your advice and kind words.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts