Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat grew up with no dogs, yet when I mention to her that I am possibly getting a dog in the future, she gives me "the look" and won't let me pet her. I know she is not stupid, but how would she know what a dog is?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm sure cats can understand the general meaning of what you are saying from the tone of your voice, i.e whether you are angry, happy etc. I don't know if she would understand exactly what you were saying, although cats can learn to associate certain words with the meanings (like 'food' or their names). I know a dog who goes mad whenever someone says 'cat', 'kitty' or 'puss' so maybe your cat has made the association?! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Agreed - I think your kitty can sense something in the tone of your voice and is responding to that, whether it's hesitation, anxiety, flaunting, etc.

As many forum members can testify, cats are very receptive to our moods. Many will cuddle and love on you when you are sad, and I'm sure the same is true for other emotions.

I'll bet if you said "I'm getting a puppy" in the same tone that you use to say "here kittykitty" you would not get the dirty look! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you guys kitties are so adorable and your probably right about the word-tone of voice association I did kinda flaunt it like "guess what Cleo, I'm getting a doggy"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts